• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bought TH7II, 1.6A, Samsung PC800 - now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drivinwest

Hey All,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to overclocking this new stuff. I've got a Celeron 566 OC'ed to 850mhz on an ABIT BE6-II but let's be honest, this is ancient technology :)

I just bought an ABIT TH7-II, Northwood 1.6A boxed, and 2x256MB of double-sided Samsing PC800 memory. Now the fun begins.

The BIOS on the mobo is #38 which should recognize my 1.6A. What about these issues I hear about updating the BIOS with MrNatural's tweaked stuff? Is it necessary to do so to stop the cold boot issue even though I've got BIOS #38?

I've messed with SoftMenu plenty on the BE6-II and I expect the SoftMenu on the TH7-II to be comparable. Can you guys give me some initial pointers on what to change? I'll be installing the OS at 1.6GHz.

I'll be using an ATA66 HDD. Is there a selection in the BIOS for the 66 vs. 100?

Any info for this Northwood noob is much appreciated. Thanks!

-Aaron

Just install the ATA100 drivers, the ATA66 drive will work just fine. After you're all setup and working ok at default, if the temps look good, go into the BIOS and set the FSB to 133 MHz using "user define" and you have an instant 2.13 gig machine. It'll do more than that, but that's a good starting point.

When you boot for the first time hit Delete to enter BIOS and change the default CPU Operating Speed from 800(100) to 1600(100) for your 1.6a. Then your good to go to load the OS.

then do a clean install using this proceedure:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2001/2001082201.htm

For steps 4 and 5:
The only change being that the Application Accelerator has replaced the UltraATA Storage driver for all OS's. You download the latest off the Intel site. and if using XP of any version no need for the INF drivers either, just load the latest Application Accelerator from Intel.

You did not say that you have RAID but if you do BIOS 38 comes embedded with HighPoint BIOS 2.0.1024 and for that you will need HighPoint driver 2.0.1019 off the Abit site, or it "might" be on the CD.

Hey Batboy, when you say ATA100 driver are you meaning the HighPoint driver or the Application Accelerator?

Last edited:
Back