• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM data driving strength - do u know anything about it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

i have this setting in the bios (SDRAM data driving mode) and i think its the same as the "MD Driving Strength". i got this from the definitive bios guide:

"The MD Driving Strength determines the signal strength of the memory data line. The higher the value, the stronger the signal. It is mainly used to boost the DRAM driving capability with heavier DRAM loads (multiple and/or double-sided DIMMs). So, if you are using a heavy DRAM load, you should set this function to Hi or High.

Due to the nature of this BIOS option, it's possible to use it as an aid in overclocking the memory bus. Your SDRAM DIMM may not overclock as well as you wanted it to. But by raising the signal strength of the memory data line, it is possible to improve its stability at overclocked speeds.

But this is not a surefire way of overclocking the memory bus. In addition, increasing the memory bus signal strength will not improve the performance of the SDRAM DIMMs. So, it's advisable to leave the MD Driving Strength at Lo/Low unless you have a high DRAM load or if you are trying to stabilize an overclocked DIMM."

the stick i have is a 256MB double-sided DIMM and i got some improvement in the sandra memory benchmark.
id like to know if anyone knows the possible problems the strong (or high) mode can cause, and if you think i can let it this way.
i heard it could cause some strange program errors but i didnt get them so far.

thanks for the attention.

hasnt anyone ever noticed this setting in the bios?

Back