• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ DDR - Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Applebrown

Registered
I just yesterday received from NewEgg OCZ PC3000 DDR RAM for our new computer, the rest of the stuff coming next week to finish it out. But, I am very troubled from the posts I've been suddenly reading here. I thought I researched it, read the reviews... but read the recent one today from HardOCP, and then the post about OCZ Ram.

I can STILL return this Ram, it's not too late. Do you recommend that I do so, and get another brand?

How can I tell if what I have is Rev. 2? It has shiny copper colored heat spreaders.

Thanks,

Tyson

Last edited:
I am not familar with ocz rdram.
Ddr ram yes.
It still seems to be luck of the draw with ocz, some sticks perform very well while some do not.
As for how to tell the revision number if it's not on the sticker(s) then you just have to go by what newegg tells you. Newegg is one of the few I would trust.

I wrote that wrong in the post but it was correct in the title. It was DDR Ram I have. Thanks.

You can test to see if it's rev.2 by setting your bios to run the memory "by SPD"- then run Sisoft Sandra and check the ram timing- rev. 2 is supposed to be EEPROM'ed for cas 2 up to 166mhz fsb. I had to send back a stick recently- ordered rev.2 and apparently got the older one- eeprom wasn't right (2.5-3-3 @133), and it wouldn't run over 133 @ 2-2-2. I replaced it with Samsung PC2700, and it's sweet. The latest OCZ is supposed to be using Samsung chips instead of Hynix- if you're brave, you could gently pry up the heatsink and peek underneath to see (gently is of course an oxymoron in this case- those sinks are really tight!).

Best wishes...

I've been through 6 or 7 sticks of OCZ....2 SDR & 5 DDR (still have 2 256). Runs great. Got from newegg

The Ocz-DDR I have ...(see sig) has been really stable, along with being able to run it at higher fsb speeds. The cool thing is they carry a lifetime warranty.:cool:

-I don't trust [H]...or believe alot of thier reviews. (no offense)

Back