• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH-7 II low budget overclocker See this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

Picture%206.jpg

Picture%207.jpg

Picture%202.jpg

Hi I would just like to say thanks to everyone. I think this forum has helped me more than any other support for overclocking and other need to know issues for speed. Here are a few crappy pictures for you budget overclockers. Please forgive the mess of wires at the top:) that will be fixed later. I’ll start from the top, I connected two exhaust fans together which increased exhaust flow significantly. The retail cpu fan has an extra fan zip tied on top of it. Just make sure the fans you’re connecting together go in the same direction. I know that sounds apparently obvious, but I had to discover that;) This extra cpu fan increased my retail fan reading to 3552 rpm, before it read 3150 to 3195. This fan also cools the ram a little. Just below is a radio shack blower very old by the way, not sure if they sale them any more. I got a slot cover and bent it to fit the blower right onto the stock Abit heat sink. To attach the fan to the slot cover, just bend the end over to make a hole and attach using zip ties. Oh forgot to mention AS3 replaced both cpu and mbhs tape. This reduced system temp by 3 degrees during max load. The big *** monster fan at the bottom was zip tied to a hard drive bracket and attached using just one mother board screw and nut, it’s adjustable that way. Ton of air flow toward the cpu and ram. It really keeps my GeForce 3 cold. Just below the big *** fan is a piece of laminated paper taped to the fan which creates an area that I would call the box. I drilled bigger suck holes directly in this area to create as much sucking as possible. So with the front case fan sucking and the big *** fan is also sucking, it works great. At first I had two fans creating the suck box so use two if you can’t get a big *** fan, and just attach them together using zip ties. All together this has my ambient temp at 27c and that’s in Deep South Texas. Down here we have 3 months of autumn and 9 months of summer. I know there are probably better ways to do this but with limited tools and money this is all I could come up with, any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope this helped a few low budget overclockers.

This sure helped me. Thanks for the info. I don't know why I never thought to team up these fans piggyback style. I attached a fan to my cpu fan and lowered my core temp. by 3 degrees. Thanks.:p :D :cool:

hey kbird I think a new idea has been born and the term to go with it piggy backing. Cool idea. I know how hot it gets in the valley. I lived there for 7 years. hotttttt.............

Right now outside its 92 degrees HOT! The wind is blowing 30 to 35, and my A/C runs year round, well almost year round. The Gulf of Mexico sea temp is up to 80 degrees so night time lows are you guessed it 80 degrees. I'm glad you like the idea, it's loud but it works :) I wonder what another fan would do? Three fans that's crazy wouldn't say? I wish some other people who can handle the noise would try this and post some results. Just make sure all your fans turn in the same direction LOL.

Fan doubling has been done before. I've seen articles on this method that suggest it is sometimes actually counter-productive due to turbulance created by the fans spinning the same direction. I've also read that if you mount two fans together that spin the opposite directions, that this does often provide extra cooling. The trouble is, almost all fans spin the same direction.

Thanks for your input batboy. Are you saying that I should try having the fans spin in opposite directions? I tried that on the cpu fan and it gave me just the opposite affect you stated. I did a Google search for the articles. I never thought to do a search for fan stacking thanks. I didn't know what to call it.

Well here's the answer to my question. I really think that it has helped my cooling so maybe I have the right conditions. I think the little space I provided between the fans is what is giving me the results. Some people agreed with the article and some did not.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips336/

I would say just try it yourself. We all like to tweak, so have a run at stacking. I stacked, and dropped 2 degrees Celcius off of my core temp.

I say if it works for you, then go for it. That link you listed was indeed one of the articles that I was referring to. When I was talking about the fans spinning in opposite direction, I meant both blowing in the same direction, but one spinning clockwise and the other spinning counter-clockwise. If you stack them with one sucking and one blowing, no way will that work.

WOW! Nice article I actually had a "Super Orb" once that did have dual fans straight outta the box. Just as the article said it was noisy as heck. The noise/ performance ratio wasn't worth the trade off. Ahh is that a Nidec Gamma 28 blower I see there. I run those on occasion. Have great CFM capability and if your brave the Gamma 30 is the mean one! Damn that 32 is no joke!

Gamma 28 http://www.nidec.com/gamma28.html
Gamma 30 http://www.nidec.com/gamma30.html
Gamma 32 http://www.nidec.com/gamma32.html

Back