• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these good components for a system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

Hi guys i am making a new system as my current system is a pentium Pro 233 Mhz (yup it's about 5 years old) Anyhow this will be the first system i have ever made, and i wanted to do if these components are good for a beginner like me. (I have however been reseraching for like 3 months now, i plan to buy the system some time in the middle of may to the beginning of june).... Keep in mind that i am on a budget of 345 dollars... The components i am looking at are as follows(I will also list the prices for ya):
P4 1.6A $128
Gigabyte 8SRX $65 or MSI 645 Ultra $65 (which one do you guys reccomend and why?)
Colorcases Noblesse Case $54
Color cases 400W powersupply $19
Jaton Nvidia TNT2 16mb video card (will be replaced with a GF4 Mx 440 when i get enough money)
Kingston PC2100 DDR memory (128 MB) $27
This all comes down to $312
As far as shipping is concerned my theory is as long as it's on dad's credit card he can worry about it.:cool:
So what do you guys think? What should i change and for what?
Thanks
Darryl

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

just my input-
i would get a GeForce 2 graphics card, a 200MX can be found for under $40 (check newegg) and that would give you a system that wouldn't need to be upgraded for a while at least- you can save for something better than the GeForce 4MX. Also, i guess you have some old HDDs and CDs and 1.44s and a monitor lying around i guess, just checking. i don't have experience with either of the mobos you list, but from the other posts and a little research I'd go with the MSI, but I'd take the advice of some members with experience- browse the MSI and other(for Gigabyte) intel mobo sections to see any reoccuring problems. And make sure that the vendors you are going to buy this stuff from are reliable- nothing sucks more than to have a defective part and no way to get a RMA.

i hope all goes well, and you've come to the right place to find all the info on building and OCing computers you'll ever need

PS to burn in that new system join the overclockers.com folding team- check out that area in the forums.
________
COCAINE REHAB ADVICE

Last edited:
These mobo's are about the same....but you can always ask other users about them or read some reviews.

They are both cheap but not a waste of money.

As for your vga...i assume that you are keeping that old TNT from your older pc.

Just save some money and get your self a GF3 Ti 200 when the prices get lower.

Back