• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giga 8IRXP Bios F7a fixes reboot issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Forgot to ask.....but if someone actually hasn't already done the wire pin mod and updates to the F7a bios....let us know if it actually solves any boot issues you may have had associated with CPU Vmod.

Giga 8IRXP Bios F7a fixes reboot issues - NOT!

Yeah, that Register headline could be improved just a little by the addition of the word 'NOT!'...

Basically, the new f7a bios has no effect whatsoever on the GA-8IRXP's cold boot fault.:mad: Though Gigabyte seem to be stating the opposite. I've got one of the boards, and I've tried f7a. Quite a few other people have tried it too - nada.

The Inquirer has a more up to date take on this

http://www.theinquirer.net/28040203.htm

Funny, I just posted a similar reply to almost exactly the same question on Toms Hardware Guide forum last night. That incorrect Register story has certainly spread a long way.

MC

GA-8IRXP... overclocks like a dream... just don't turn it off...:eek:

DJ,
thanks for the clarification.... it appears Gigabyte hasn't fixed the problem, just altered it or limited it by limiting overclocking options with this newer bios. Damn, just when I thought it was safe to buy this mobo. Maybe I should wait for the new 8IEXP mobo to be released, anybody have a date for it's release?

Re: Giga 8IRXP Bios F7a fixes reboot issues - NOT!

DJ/T0ne-def said:
Yeah, that Register headline could be improved just a little by the addition of the word 'NOT!'...

Basically, the new f7a bios has no effect whatsoever on the GA-8IRXP's cold boot fault.:mad: Though Gigabyte seem to be stating the opposite. I've got one of the boards, and I've tried f7a. Quite a few other people have tried it too - nada.

The Inquirer has a more up to date take on this

http://www.theinquirer.net/28040203.htm

Funny, I just posted a similar reply to almost exactly the same question on Toms Hardware Guide forum last night. That incorrect Register story has certainly spread a long way.

MC

GA-8IRXP... overclocks like a dream... just don't turn it off...:eek:
mine starts up like a dream everyday. the only problem is when you need to restart, you just have to shut it off for 10 seconds with the switch on the ps and then start it back up.:D is it worth flashing the new bios?

I purchased the 8IRXP last week (was looking for a Abit BD7-RAID but no stock). Flashed to the newest BIOS F7a right away, installed XP on RAID 0 without problem. Today I tried to o/c my 1.6A but failed. I looked for answers all over the web and ended up finding out this forum. I wish I had known the "nightmare" story before I made the purchase.

Boos,
It's not a total nightmare as some may think. Simply drop back to the F6 bios if you need more than 1.7V on the CPU. Another thing, a lot of other manufacturers mobos suffer this very same problem. It appears to be more to blame on the 845 chipset rather than any particular board. The 8IRXP has some of the best overclocking results just short of going with a water-cooled Abit. So don't get discouraged, go F6 and maybe the wire trick on the CPU. You should make it to 133FSB easily, maybe even 150FSB with adequate cooling.

8IRXP

I used bios 7a and it eliminated most of the Vcore settings! Only 1.5-1.7 are available with the 7a bios. Gigabyte eliminates the overclocking issues by eliminating overclocking!! Also, I have problems running Kingmaxx ddr333 RAM when overclocking. The system is unstable with the memory, however, samsung ddr333 seems to have fixed my stability problems. I still like this board though, mostly because is uses a promise raid, instead of the highpoint ("Piece of #$##") raid controller.

Intel 2.4 @ 2.8Ghz
Gigabyte 8IRXP
Gf4 Ti4600
Maxtor ata133 * 2
Samsung ddr333
Plaxtor 24/10/40
Samsung 1200nf Monitor

Jdmcnudgent &/or JHubbard,

I was curios about the RAM overclocking on this 8IRXP mobo. I'd like to know how fast your RAM is running and just how far does the 8iRXP allow you to push the RAM clock speed. Such as, what's the divider setting like? 1:1 FSB/RAM so on and so forth?

Thanks rbbnet. I decide to keep this board instead of returning it. Let's hope future BIOS can address this problem. So what's the recommended setting for my 1.6A? I have a stick of 512Mb Crucial PC2100 Ram (Crucial started to sell PC2700 the next day after my order was shipped :mad: ). What's the wire mod you guys talking about?

Boos,
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the specifics with bios setups on your 8IRXP, as I know nothing about the bios options. However I can point you to the voltage mod that will most likely eliminate your cold boot problems. I only wish I wasn't at work and had more time to find the other voltage mod page I read a month or so ago, but I think this one will help you just the same. This trick makes the mobo think the default voltage for your CPU is 1.xx, whatever you tell it. Thus it will supply 1.xx volts without causing the bad side effects.

http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/Northwoodmod/

I tried to stay with the 1.50v default voltage and pushed the FSB up. The system runs fine at 110, but at 115, I got a blue screen after several minutes of use. Then the XP I installed on RAID 0 (2x 40G Maxtor D740X) was dead. It took me hours to find out how to repair the system file that's corrupted. I guess I should not use RAID 0 when my system is o/c.

Boos,
Seems like I read somewhere that XP doesn't support the Promise RAID chip by default. You have to go get the latest drivers from Gigabyte and install them before XP will play nice. I wouldn't think that overclocking would cause the problems you mention with RAID.

rbbnet said:
Jdmcnudgent &/or JHubbard,

I was curios about the RAM overclocking on this 8IRXP mobo. I'd like to know how fast your RAM is running and just how far does the 8iRXP allow you to push the RAM clock speed. Such as, what's the divider setting like? 1:1 FSB/RAM so on and so forth?
i dont quite remember, i think that it was running at 326mgz at 161 fsb. i am installing the 1.6a in the 8IRXP with the vapolianli right now, and i will let you know when get it up and running. i am going to put all the pieces together and then do a fresh install. btw, i modded one of my 8500's, and i am able to run it at 300/640 stable and with a 161+ fsb, i should be somewhere in the 11,000's+.:D

jdmcnudgent said:
i dont quite remember, i think that it was running at 326mgz at 161 fsb. i am installing the 1.6a in the 8IRXP with the vapolianli right now, and i will let you know when get it up and running. i am going to put all the pieces together and then do a fresh install. btw, i modded one of my 8500's, and i am able to run it at 300/640 stable and with a 161+ fsb, i should be somewhere in the 11,000's+.:D
mem at 372mhz.

Thanks for reaffirming your RAM bus speed. Seems like days after asking you, I found another forum where someone posted the RAM speed options of 1 x FSB, 2 X FSB or 2.66 x FSB were available on the 8IRXP.
I still haven't broken down and started ordering parts for my next system. I may bypass the 8IRXP for the 8IGXP due to it's DDR333 support. Then again I may just go with the ABIT IT7 MAX. I read one review where they claim they ran a 1.6A @ 2.6GHz with very little CPU voltage increase....rock stable too. But the ABIT doesn't support DDR333 either, so who knows what or when I'll jump.

Back