• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to rdram or to ddr?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joelshop

I am going to sell my 1.8 willamette chip and go with a Northwood for the purposes of overclocking. I am not sure if I should use a board that supports DDR or RDram. What is everyones opinion on which way to go. I will either be using an Abit sd7-533 board or the TH7II because I like Abit boards. I am just not sure which memory is better. Can they both support a 533 FSB?

Thanks for the help,
Joel

I am an AMD user all the way, so this is not from personnal experience. I have read a lot about this in various mags and online and time and time again it says that if you are using a P4 go with RDRAM. No i do not believe DDR will support that front side bus. Maybe the new DDR333 butt I am still not sure.

No current rdram currently officially supports 533mhz cpu's.
You can buy some and might get lucky and get some that will overclock to 533mhz or wait for 1066 rdram to come out.

Ddr will work with a 533 cpu no problem but I don't think it will be as fast as the 1066 rdram when it comes out but that won't be a for sure thing until it does.

Both have adavantages and disadvantages when it comes to overclocking the cpu and alot depends on the cpu fsb when the the cpu is at it's max overclock or close due to the rdram fsb limits and ddr speed options on the motherboard.

The safe bet is ddr if you want something that will work for 400 and 533 chips and overclocking.

There is a lot of opinion on both sides but it is hard to say for sure which is better. The DDR folks will say that DDR has better latency than rdram and the RDRAM folks will tell you that the P4 was made for it and RDRAM will give you better bandwith out of the box. But when overclocked with the new SIS 645 chipsets to 200 + memory speeds its a toss up. It apears to me that intel itself is moving toward DDR for its future with dual channel ddr or DDR11 which will have dual pc2100 specs or better. If that is the case you will need a new mobo in the future but you could re-use your DDR again. It is not clear how well Rdram 1066 will perform yet since it is not available that I know of and overclocked Rdram 800 may not have the same latency specs. Personaly I prefer the DDR solution but I confess its just my personal preference based on what I have read and observed so far.

Back