• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help out a newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datafiend

I'm not real sure on how raid works, can I run only one hard drive with a mobo supporting raid? or do you have to have more than one mobo.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
You can run a single hard drive on a raid board but if you want to run raid you need two or more hard drives that are identical.

ok thanks, does raid run faster? I know there are different settings to raid, like 0,1,2. which setting is better?

welcome datafiend!

The main idea behind RAID is to use multiple drives to give you either a faster disk access, or better data security, or a mix of both.

Take 2 drives and keep the exact same data on both, and have the system read off only one of them. Now, you have a perfect backup drive in case the first one breaks on you. That's a type of RAID.

Or, take the same 2 drives- only now half your data is automatically put on disk one, the other half on disk two. Reads are the same way- simultaenously reading off both drives- 1st half of file on drive 1, second half on drove 2. Another type of RAID!!

There are like a billion more RAID types but that's the basic idea. IMHO unless you have a real thing about backing up yer drives, it's a waste of $$. Even when setup for speed, RAID is not much faster than normal drives. RAID card plus a second drive can easily be $200- not worth it to me. But if you have an extra driove laying around, why not?;)

Back