• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone get higher with vram mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gipat

Well, went and did the vram mod yesterday and it looks better than it works, it didn't get me one mhz higher. can't get over 125x4. Thats with two sticks of samsung 128/4. Did anyone have good results with this mod? Just wondering because I have seen a lot of talk about doing it but no talk of real world results(seen one post of someone not getting any more with this mod)

No, nobody. I thought I would get a couple of bites. Should we mark this down as a usless mod for the rambus(or is it just me, I did have crapy ram to start with. 2x128/4 device

this afternoon i did some more mem testing - havin' a close look at what speeds the first prime errors occur.

Hand in hand with that went playing around with the Vrimm ... and i noticed:

-) increasing Vrimm without extra cooling = Bad idea, contraproductive.
-) by adding a Fan and increasing the Vrimm to 2.75v i got 504MHz stable ... with default settings 498 is my stable maximum
-) 2.85V+ don't increase stability

so the benefit is .. hmm.. not quite exceptional.

Yea, I am really starting to think its the ICS chips that are crapping out. I can run all benchmarks fine at 533mhz rdram but for some reason Prime 95 will not run for more than an hour with errors this past week. I'm going to try and get ahold of some 533mhz TI chips (I heard the TI ones have less jitter than the ICS 533mhz equivalent).

Edit: Actually, take what I said with a grain of salt because its probably not the ICS chips, but who knows. The thread at the [H] forms is very convincing in that the ICS chips are not much of a factor as many of you seem to think. It seems to be just luck of the draw with ram.

Last edited:
I have good case flow, but I'll try to get a suitable fan in there. I AA epoxied approx. 1/2 of a greenie heatsink to the clock gens, and that didn't help.

the 128 x 4 are generally considered to be a bit crap for overclocking. Mine, like yours, struggle to do any better than 125mhz at 4x. I swapped mine for some 128 x 8 rimms and these went to 150mhz at 4x no problem.

However, you may want to hold on for some dedicated pc1066 memory that should be available very shortly (if it isn't already)

Yah I thought the 4 device was crap, and you are right I don't think I will waste my $ on new pc800 I will waite for the pc1066.

amd_builder-I read that to on[H] forums thats why my TI 533 are still sitting in my desk and the fact that soldering them on scares me, maybe when I get pc 1066 there will be a good reason to put them in

O.K. I ungrounded my vmod which defaulted to 2.54v. Then I hooked the wire to the 2.5v source, and now the vmod is in reverse. It defaulted to 2.44v.
@2.54v = max @ 4x was 135 fsb
@2.44v = max @ 4x was 141 fsb

Seems like the Samsung ram is Voltage sensitive. I usualy run at 173 3x, I haven't tried it there though, and I have to head to work. I will update later tonight.

Back