• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much voltage can ram handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The memory chips are rated 2.5v + or - .2v so using 2.7v is never a problem.
As you go further above this then the risk of damage becomes greater.
Damage from overvolting in the 2.8v-3.2v range is usually not something that happens as soon as you try it, the memory will just stop working after a long period of time like 1-3 months depending on luck and the memory brand.
The damage to memory is similar to that of cpu's overvolted
electromigration is speed up and reduces the lifespan.
Micron chips seem to be one of the better chips for overvolting without long term use damage.

personally i think its just heresay that mem dont like voltage, u used my mem at 3.0v for 6 months ==mushkin pc2400, and have used mushkin for over a year at 2.8 v or higher. not a prob so far

I think your problem is the CPU. Up the voltage there, that's probably why you keep restarting. Your XP is only at 1576 also, most people get them near 1700, and your FSB is only 140, your PCI and AGP is barely out of spec.

Up your vcore a little bit, that's probably what causing all the restarts. I have generic ram (uses samsung chips, though) that I run at max timings at 164 FSB. Even if yours is value it's still kingston, so I don't think that's your problem.

--Illah

My crucial PC-2100 has been running at 3.2v for 6 months with no ill effects so far.
Id say that extreme voltage is pretty safe as far as micron chips go, i wouldnt know about other manufacturers.

Well Placid mentioned Micron was one of those brand that can take voltage and still last long. I had my Crucial @ 3.12v for 3 months fine...

Anything 2.8v+ airflow is a MUST.

Update i got my computer to 140 FSB but the CPU temp was at like 60 right after loading windows. The ram is helding well at stock voltage at 140 but i need better cooling and myabe a few burn-ins.

Back