• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't connect my IDE drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan_25

Registered
I just got an Intel 850MVL, and when I connected my DVD rom as master and my CDRW as slave, I get a blue screen that says it can't configure the drives, and for safety reasons it won't boot into Windows XP. It says it might be a driver issue or something, but I can't boot my computer at all unless I disconnect the CDRW.

Any suggestions?

try double checking the master/slave jumpers, if you are sure you have them set up right then try to reverse them (CDRW as master and DVD as slave). If that doesnt work try to set the CDRW as master or cable select and try to boot up windows with only the CDRW connected. Have you used that CDRW before?

Okay. I found out what the problem is. The CDRW drive that I have is a Philips 804. This drive won't work with Windows XP ~most~ of the time (I think maybe some people can make them work, depending on the PC configuration). However, just about everybody has the same trouble with these drives. I called Philips tech support, and they basically say that this drive wasn't designed to run in Win XP (even though it is a PnP device). According to them, it isn't their problem to make a driver to help the drive work in XP. That's Window's responsibiliby, and the suggest that you call Windows tech support to see if they can do anything.

But since this driver wasn't made with a guarantee to work with XP, I have a feeling Windows' techs will tell me the same thing (It isn't their responsibility). So basically, if you have one of these drives, and you want it to run in XP, you are screwed.

I had to order a new CDRW. It is the only option unless I want to go back to a different OS.

Back