• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7-II, Which O/S is fastest now, with this MOBO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster.

HI,
When I first built my PC back in November 2001, I tried 2 O/S. Win XP PRO & WIN ME. This was using BIOS 37.
I found that when benchmarking, using 3DMARK 2001, Win ME was 1000 points faster than Win XP. Is this still the case with the BIOS version 38? Or does 38 support Win XP better?

After the test, I used Win ME. Can you tell me how your TH7-II's are getting on with Win XP? As I was thinking of going back to XP if it's better supported now.
Thanks

XP is running great for me. Regardless of 3Mark scores, WinME is a piece of junk and not even worthy of consideration. For reference, I have a regular GF3 at 225/525 and get 9000 on 3DMark 2001 SE with the latest nvidia drivers. All games run very well.

WOW....9000. thats good. When I tested XP with my GeForce 3. I only got about 6800. Where with WinME I get about 8000.
How did you get Such a good score? DO you OC your MoBo much?

I run XP as well

1.8a @ 2.5 GHz

GF3 @ 240/552 = 8978 3DMarks2001 SE

You are correct Batboy, 98SE is a hair faster as a gaming OS, but you really can't beat the NT Kernel for stability. XP just offers so much more and it never crashes. It is fast enough for me.

Off topic, but has anyone tried the remote assistance? It sure beats getting in my car and driving over a relatives house to help them install a scanner.

LJ

My highest score has been 9880 in 3dmark 2k1 with my GeForce 3 Ti500 overclocked to 255/580 on Windows XP Professional.

Yeah baby! I've put a hurtin on the remote assistance deal. My buds live all over the us and always ask for stuff and since I don't have an FTP set up I give them my rig and no kidding they can navigate through my machine and even zip their own files and send them to themselves. Also I'd like to add that the 2 way phone deal is awesome when used with headphones. The reverb is kind of annoying when using speakers. If your a gamer throw out the Wilco and Battlecom this is better. As far as the OS goes I have found the NT kernel to be solid as I prefer stability over a few frames. I do remember reading that ME/98 have some of the best gaming scores although in todays market it seems a few frames can be overlooked by grabbing an extra 100MHZ for $8 bucks. I'll post my 3D Mark 2001 screenshot as soon as I get 13,000 plus! if even possible.

Last edited:
Throw away those Geforces......3d mark 2001se gives me over 11,000 with my unclocked Radeon 8500,
D.

People with nothing better to do
ZZZZzzzz:rolleyes:
D
ps even though some things bore some people, lets be constructive.

Okay,...being constructive, I am Kicking Radeon in the bollocks cos they r crap!

Game over!

Yes i think it was constructive. This forum is dedicated to people telling other people how to make their computers run faster. I have had a Geforce and after changing it out for a Radeon my computer is faster. I was just trying to pass on my experiences to benefit other people.
I`m wholeheartedly sorry that i offended you enough to make you reply in this way.
My apologies,
D.

thanks for all the info......
I'm thinking about geting a replacement for my aging Geforce 3 card. The replacement will be a geforce 4 600, or a Radeon 8500.
Which should I get, and why?
Thanks again for any more info.

LOL!...after just kicking Radeon in the bollocks,..i can see this thread getting rather amusing

Apologies to anyone using a Radeon card. I have jus tseen so much bollox with ALL ATI Graphics cards in the past.
The Radeon card is prolly the best incarnation from those folk yet,......however,...from ATI's past,...and **** poor support of drivers,....the Radeon card seems to have been rather well supported.

Having said this,....when you see BUL **** drivers released giving False 3DMarks,...it kinda takes the ****...even if ATI are to blame or some muppet at a seedy Workstation somewhere in Cyber Space,...bull **** like that is NOT tolerable!

These Ti4600 Cards simply fly ,...so if u consider Ti4600 or Radeon 8500,....Leave Radeon alone.

Buy a Ti4600, and fly.........literally

dood_dk,

Same here. I apologize as well. I just really like this forum because it is usually constructive, where other places are full of zealots that argue to no end about which soundcard or video card is better. I thought you were going down that trail. So again, let me apologize.

On topic, I would have to agree, that ATI has the worst software and driver support possible. It really is a shame because their hardware is not bad. Creative and ATI are 2 companies that I will never buy another product from because of negative prior experience.

LarryJoe

Heck m8,...thats a real nice thing to say!

Kinda looks like these forums are a little more Mature than some of the Cretins hanging around Icrontic.

Nice again m8!

True, driver support and software from ATI do leave a little to be desired, and Creative is one name you`ll not see on my sig. There are however people out there like our own Mr Natural that "pep" ATI`s software up, and i`ve found driver support to be a lot better lately from ATI. To tell the truth i guess that`s why i got rid of my Gf3, i suffered badly from the infamous infinate loop, random reboots are NOT the best wat to spend time in front of a screen! NVidia where constantly releasing new drivers, every other day, and i was constantly looking for a solution to my problems, which i didn`t find.
all the best,
D.

Back