• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4S533 bios on P4S333 warning!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markus

Registered
hi all,this warning is when you flash the ps533 bios,make sure you when you reboot into bios settings,if you have a ata100 hard drive,you set your udma to 5.defalut is 6 which,as far as i know is for ata133 hd's only,i think i fried my maxtor 7200 40 gig hard drive.

i didn't go and check the dma settings,if i had,i would have known.
if im wrong on this,someone correct me,my system worked fine for afew days,maybe less,then i started getting warnings my hard drive is or about to fail..

i disconted my fans after smeling smoke,i could hear my hd clicking on and off,i tryed it in 2 other pc's,same thing..so finely went into bios,and seen my dma set to defalut udma 6,so i changed it,then i started getting drive faliure to boot msgs,i figured my hd was done with.then it started working ok.

i still would get the warning msgs,until i reinstalled winxp,no more msgs..it still maybe bad,its still in warrenty,thank god..

go to the main bios screen click on your drive which says auto,change it to user type hdd,then change the dma setting to 5..

unless you have an ata133 hd,it should be ok set at 6,which my other pc has a 133ata maxtor 7200 40 gig,hooked to a promise card,and its set at udma6.

i wanted to bring this up,so no one fries there hd'suseing ata100 drives..cyas

Hey man thanks a bunch that cured my problem right up just had to lower the udma to 5 instead of 6.

Extol

hi extol,sorryi didn't reply back sooner,ihad 2 teeth yanked the other day.wasn't feeling well..im glad you got yours up and running:)it should have dected the ata100 automacticaly,thats what we get changeing to a diff bios.hehe..

im glad i found it,maybe to late for me,mine still works,when i shut my system down on purpuse..after rebooting it does the scan drive test too slow now.i'll prob rma my hd,i caught it too late,the problem:(

CSHawkeye81-it works,i can't officaly confirm it.im not a pro overclocker,i haven't really checked it out good yet useing the ps533 bio's.it updated some stuff,after flashing this bio's,in winxp so far so good though...

just remmber to set the udma to 5 if your useing a ata100 drive,an ata133 hd is set for dma 6..

Hey man thats no problem whatsoever. I understand how the dentist goes just get better soon. That sucks about your hd, but if you can rma it then it should work out ok then. Whats the highest fsb you can hit with that 4:6 mem ration. Mine seems to be at 147fsb and thats as far as it goes. Well thanks again. Take care

well,i forget,i have my 1.6a on my abit sd7-533 board at the moment.im blowing holes for fans,in a tower case 2 120mm on the top,and 92mm in other areas..im gona try it on the asus board after i remount everything.if i remmber corect,before any mods,i installed my 1.6a on the asus board,i got around thesame results,once i get these holes cut,reinstall everything.i'll take out my p4 1.9 put the 1.6a in..

im not sure which board is better,abit or asus,the sd7-533 useing the orignal bios,lets you edo the v.c up to 2.21 volts.im doing puting the abit board in first with the 1.6a,anew 431 watt ethermax psu,then swicth boards in the modded case,i bought a theraltake volcano 7+that will help for sure,plus all the fans,which it only had an intake and exaust 80mm.this will be a huge improvment.

on the asus board,the voltage don't go high enough,with out doing the wire trick,which i never done,but read how to do it.i'll keep you posted.oh and directon.com has 92mm fans nmb for .99cents,i bought 11 of em.hehe,im expecting my 120mm fans tomowrow,just gota figure out which ones to exuast and ones to use for intakes.more work ahead..,i'll cya bro:)

Back