• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick DDR Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

What is the highest FSB I can get with this setup using Crucial PC2100? I can get a good deal on it and not sure if I should buy it. Should I get registered ram or does it make a difference? I'm building a computer and will mostly play video games on it. Also, I want to overclock so any opinions about changing my setup would help too. Thanks!

Athlon XP 2000 + Volcano 7
Abit KR7A-Raid Mobo
Ati Radeon 8500 + TT blue orb, heatsinks
40GB 7200rpm Western Digital
Cendyne 24x CDRW
Enermax 431w PSU
Sound Blaster 5.1
Win XP Pro
Floppy, modem

without unlocking the processor and a good heatsink, you probably won't be able to push it very far. Maybe 2200+ speeds, or around 1800-1850 MHz.

Crucial PC2100 will not hold you back with that setup. I've hit 176 FSB with mine.

god, ddr sucks; with all the changing standards and such

just go for RDRAM on a p4 for all your bandwidth/speed nees!
philly, at overclockers.com we try to run a very clean and professional forum. I've hanging around here for about a year, and posting for about 8 months, and have found this to be a very open and understanding place to ask questions. People shouldn't have to worry about getting flamed when they ask questions. Try to realize that every piece of hardware has its pros and cons, and while it may not be the right piece of hardware for your system, it probably is for someone elses. When replying to posts, try to put some thought into it. A post like yours contains no information, and is just meant to start a flame war. There is no place for that here. If you want a debate, take it to the debates forum. If you want flame wars, go somewhere else.

phillyTIM said:
god, ddr sucks; with all the changing standards and such

just go for RDRAM on a p4 for all your bandwidth/speed nees!

Following up with Neo said, if something has questions, giving them a suggestion of "Go buy a whole new system" doesn't help.

What kind of deal are you getting on the ram? If you plan to unlock and over using FSB, I would go with Samsung PC2700, if your just going to up the FSB, the Crucial should do fine with FSB's of around 150 (The abit has a good 2.85v selection for Crucial)...

Crucial/Micron = Voltage Hungry.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I want to experiment so I'm getting a whole new system cause my current computer is a P3 and I want to give AMD a try. I'll have to buy the Samsung PC2700 in the near future and also unlock the CPU. I read some reviews after reading your post so looks like Samsung is the best choice. To answer your question, the 256MB Crucial Ram I bought for $75 but it came with an additional 256MB Generic brand chip.

Myself, Bender, and SilverSinkSam have all had good experiances with DDR Mushkin pc2400-pc3000 all those have done a great job.

the pc2400 was doing upper 160's for me (165-169 cas 2 all turbo fastest possible settings), since that was my boards limit. I sold it and i believe that is is performing the same for the buyer.

the mushkin pc3000 i have has hit a whopping 221 mhz.

where can i get that mushkin

Where can I get that 256 mushkin PC 3000 for 89 dollars and free shipping. Do you think with a ASUS P4S533 I can hit 200 or more with it. Is it cas 2 or 2.5 also if you don't mind. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Back