• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thugs_2

Registered
Hi I have a quesiton about cooling my chipset on my board, which is an Abit TH7II-Raid Socket 478 With a PIV 2.0ghz.

Now I have'nt donw any overclocking yet but i plan too soon :)

Now my question was this i recently purchased a Blueorb chipset cooler. After i bought it I found out it was made for VGA Chipsets rather then Motherboard Chipsets :( but it seems to be a powerful little thing.

The only thing is with its dimensions i would have to use the thermal tape rather then thermal grease :( If you want you can check out the specs on this fan on this link. it says it moves 15cfpm :eek:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/tgf020.htm

I was just wondering if any of you could answer this question cause i just dont want to do it if its not going to work.

The Blue b makes a fine chipset cooler, but you just about have to use Arctic Silver epoxy to mount it. I would not use that crappy thermal tape. Looks like with my massive Swiftech CPU cooler mounted in place, the Blorb would be a tight fit. What I did was to remove the stock northbridge heatsink (which is a good unit), cleaned all the junk off it (thermal paste and a heat pad plus a foam spacer around the outer edge), lapped it, and then reinstalled with AS3. Once all that was done, I mounted a regular 40mm fan onto the heatsink.

I did a chipset cooler as well. I tried using a "Blue Orb" and it was a joke! My Orb was not flat at all. In fact 1 of the 3 mounting screws portruded right out of the back and if applied to the wrong surface ( a large chipset) would have damaged it when pulled tight. I grabbed the Orb for my G force 3 and found the stock heatsink worked better than the Orb only because the bottom surface was not flat. If lapped it would probably be OK. I found the overall flatness was .0048 my H2O block has an overall flatness of .0009 without any attention from me. It is possible that I received a bad sample. It can be lapped I just have not put forth the effort yet. When you look at it under lighting if the surface does not mate enirely your cooling is hindered because of the fact only a couple of contact points exist. At any rate not to get to crazy, but I figured I'd give ya an example of bad cooling in hopes that it will help you with yours. My cheesy North bridge cooling with zip ties included.

Last edited:
Back