• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probs O/C p4 1.8A with an MSI 845 Ultra ARU mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LostRingLord

Well hello first of all :)
I have a problem overclocking my cpu and I thought that you guys could help me find if and what is wrong with my hardware.

First of all plz go HERE , so you can see my post at MSI forum.

Regardless of this post I will wright down some other stuff too here.

Lets start then :) , I own the following combination of parts :

Pentium 4 1.8A
MSI 845 Ultra ARU mobo
Kingston 256mb 266DDR CL 2.5
Herolchi 350w psu
Chaintech GeForce 2 GTS
Creative Audigy Player
Fritz!PCI ISDN TA

This stuff work perfectly together when I don't tweak anything , but when I tweak the fsb some problems about rebooting occur.
The problem is that while I have no instability issues with my cpu overclocked at 2 or 2.2 ghz and the cpu temps are just fine ,when I reboot from windows (not by pushing the restart button ) I get no signal on my monitor and no booting sequence bips or anything ... and for the system to boot up I have to hit the reset button.
And most of the times after this boot failure the "watchdog" (some kind of o/c security) resets my fsb at 100 and my system reboots at 1.8 ghz.
Some times this is happening even when I power up my pc and I have to hit the reset button for my system to boot up (only I have this prob in the msi forum).

At msi forum people say that is a "warm boot" problem and almost eveyone with this mobo have the same problem.
For some people this problem is not that irritating and they compromise with it , for some other like myself it is a problem that NO ONE from MSI (ffs) tried to solve and I'm searching to gather knowledge that I don't have so I can solve my problem.

But this is not the only problem I have, I also have problem overclocking my cpu at 2.4 (133 fsb) and that is because when I set the fsb at 133 ,my memory clock at 200 and my vcore at 1.6 the system can't even boot and it hangs.
I was not sure that my cpu can handle this speed and I didn't complain about this for my motherboard BUT one guy at the msi forum have posted something that changed my opinion about this...
Msi 845 ultra has a small heatsink with a small fan attached , so he removed it ,removed the thermal pad and applied some Artic Silver 3 for better cooling and HE says that all of his problems are gone and his cpu temps are lower than before ( 42 idle - 46 load)
I thought this is crazy but I bought some Artic Silver 3 and I changed my chipsets heat sink with a slightly bigger one and applied some artic silver .The results for my pc are :
1) My cpu temps ARE lower.
2) When I tried to oc at 2.4 ,I succed .... (fsb 133 ,memory 200, vcore 1.6)
3) when I tried to reboot the system it failed and didn't reboot even after I pushed the reset button ... Only after I powered down the system and powered it up again it started with fsb at 100 ( 1.8 ghz).
4)And now my cpu is at 1.8 because after playing some quake with my cpu clocked at 2.4 it crashed ( the monitor whent black and its led started to blink :/ ) and after I powered down and powered up again my system I couldn't oc my cpu at 2.4 again successfully. (note : I checked my pcu temp after this crash and it was 55 , not too high to cause this crash I suppose )

I need your help and knowledge ,

Tnx in advance and sorry about the size of my post.

p.s. :burn: :burn: :burn: HEHEHE this is so cool :D

Welcome to the forums

Can you please check your temps with something like MBM5?
If you can...then activate the log file and work your pc for an hour
or more doing the usuall staff and also work under load.

Then check the log's readings and see how the temps are.

Also post your memory settings.

About your boot problem....maybe you can try the wire-trick
for a higher initial core voltage.

Gia sou file taso :p

Hello my friend :)
I will reply in english because its not a Greek forum ( if you have an icq number or an email plz let me know for further conversation )

My problem is that I can't o/c at 2.4 and not that I have problems when my cpu is overclocked at 2.4 :(
So your advise of checking my temps is not helping so much :(, unless you have something else in your mind that I don't know and we could figure something out of it.

As for the memory settings are manually set at 3 , 3 , 2.5 , 7 and 200 mhz clock speed I think.

The Vcore mod that you are suggesting is risky with my oem cooler and as you know high temps and high vcore is bad for my cpu , so I will max my vcore tweaking at 1.6 v.

Tnx very much for your reply and if you want email me Here .

Bye

I suggested to look at your temps,just to be sure that @ default speed and vcore...the cpu is mounted nicely with the heatsink.

Also set your memory @ default settings and speed.

Apply some Arctic Silver II or III on the cpu.

**Note**

The most successfull overclocks of the 1.8A in the database
show a vcore >1.60

Most of them are between 1.65-1.75 vcore.

Good luck

P.S.
Look at your PM

Some further details

Ok , lets take things from the beginning...

The problems are :

1) When I tweak my fsb ( no matter what my Vcore is) I get worm boot problems ( I'm not sure if the restart process is a warm or cold boot ,I forgot :p ).
To be more specific , when I restart my system using the restart selection from the shut down menu the system hungs and there is no post , not until I push the reset button and have my system restarted and posting with fsb settings changed at default and the Vcore and memory settings unchanged .
This "no post" problem even happens some times when I power up my pc and I have to reset manually again ,and have my fsb changed again :mad:
This problem is not only unsolved but irritating as well .

2) The second and most important problem for me is that I can't have my system post when I increase my fsb at 133.
My friend TASOS said that this problem sould be solved with more Vcore increment , but the issue is that when I've changed my chipset heatsink with a bigger one I powered up my system and changed my fsb at 133 and when I saved my settings and exit bios my system posted just fine .
But when I used my pc playing some quake 3 for just one minute the system crashed :(

Now , as for the second problem I have some new details to post here...
When I changed my chipset heatsink my pc was cooled down ...
So I realized that I managed to change my fsb at 133 and boot up normally because the system was cooled down and not because the chipset was cooler with the new heatsink .
And to test if I was right I powered up my system at the morning with no previous usage and tried to change my fsb at 133 and boot up ... I succeed .

So plz tell me ... WTF is going on ???

I'm out of juice :confused:

Tnx cya

Hi LRLord,

I don't have a P4 but I may be able to help out anyway. After reading the thread, I have just one question for you regarding your overclocking problems: does your motherboard have OFFICIAL support for the 133mhz FSB speed? From what I understand, you simply can't hit 133 no matter what with most boards, it's disabled just like with the KT133. I saw this article where a guy replaced the clock generator for the memory controller and a few other things, and was able to get it to work only after a lot of effort.

Then again, like I said I am not so smart with P4s so take this advice with a big grain of salt!

As for the warm-boot problem, try disabling ACPI in your BIOS and in Windows. It sounds more like a power control problem than anything else- My system has done that in the past. What's going on, as near as I can tell, is Windows is not correctly sending the 'reboot' signal to the motherboard-it's not having trouble rebooting, it never fully shuts off in the first place. However, if others are having this problem too, it is more likely that the motherboard is just not accepting those signals for some reason. Bad design, it happens! :)Playing with ACPI and the other power switches in BIOS solved the problem for me, maybe it will help you.

Well I hope something I said was helpful, good luck!

Tnx for your reply mOnsteRoFrOck ,
I can use some of this tips for my research about this problem.

As for the 133 fsb limitation I thing that it's not an issue here ,because I've managed to reach this fsb speed and work my pc for a wile with this speed ( 133 fsb - 2.4 ghz).

Anyway :) ,tnx very much for your reply and be well .

Hi LostRingLord,

I had exact the same problem. I could reach 2.35GHz (stable), but it was not possible to go for FSB133. The same boot/reboot problems occured.
The mem is a stick of 256MB Apacer DDR333. Yes you read right, PC-2700 ( 4 overclocking reasons).

Now I changed the mobo and I'am using a ASUS P4B266.
You would not believe it, but .... the same problem, even worse.

I can't hit 2.35 GHz. The max FSB is 128 (=2.30 GHz).

I thought it was a problem with te mem, but now that I read your topic I guess that the CPU is the issue.

Can anyone confirm my guessing, plssssssss ?

Greetz,

Goof

I have had 2 of these boards. One ARU and one AR. Still have the first. Both of them have the warm boot issue when overclocked. Seems to be the same broblem which troubles ABIT BD /TH7II, Epox PD etc. MSI stil don´t have correcting bios release. But i think this is not so big issue, because otherwise the board is great.

Easiest way to boot succesfully after a hangup is to press the powerbutton few seconds untill the system powers down. After this you press the pwr button again and 95% of cases the boot goes normally this time. If not.. same procedure again. Reset button doesn´t seem to do much good atleast wit me.

This motherboard is superbly stable at high FSB.. there are many guys driving this mobo over 180fsb! ...remember reading one review where stable 185fsb was achieved. Even at this point testers thought that memory was the limiting factor. So i don´t think it is the mobo which is holding you back here. Maybe your P4 needs a little voltage bump to run happily at 133fsb. Many of 1.8A´s can´t even go to 2.4GHz wit Vcore-mod.

I have now my MSI845Ultra-ARU +1.6A stable at 168FSB .. 2688MHz (vcore 1.85 set in bios) ..vid pin 3&4 connected, so 1.7v is the default vcore for my woody. When i used my old crappy 1.6A woody.. i set 109fsb in bios and 266MHz-mem(the 4:3 multiplier is aplied when you set 109-123fsb in bios) .. then booted up to Winblows. Now the mem-multiplier is locked to 4:3 and PCI/AGP is fixed to 33/66MHz. After this you can use a program called CPU FSB to up the fsb and maintain the 4:3 mem-ratio. So i took the CPU to it´s limit 2336MHz(146X16) and now the memory is 4:3X146 = 194.7MHz! Memory was now unbelievable quick! Sandra mem-scores were 2980/2980 :D :D :D ..not much to complain here.

Sad to say that my Kingmax 333DDR memory´s limit is 196MHz at this 2.6v(max at bios), so i can´t use this multiplier wit my new better woody. Fast it is anyway at 168fsb! :cool:

Last edited:
I have MSI 845D AR and also warm boot problem at fsb>140. Has enyone send question to MSI support about warm boot problem and wat them say? Maybe come the new BIOS which fix this problem? When?

Back