• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit TH7II-RAID w/ P4 2.0GHz / Overclock- How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thugs_2

Registered
Ok guys i just recently bought an Abit TH7II-Raid board with a northwood socket 478 Pentium 4 2.0GHZ.

CPU fan is a Volcano 7+ with 3 Speeds.
Chipset Fan is Blueorb 15cfpm.

Pic can be found here -
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=85524

Well I just wanted to know how i can overclock this bad boy. Preferablly someone that has this same board and that has a P4 as well. Or just whoever knows what there talking about.

I have already updated the bios so that it gets rid of the Code 26 Cold Boot error and allows a Core Voltage higher then 1.7.

I just need someone to step me thru this process. Like what to set the CPU multiplier to and the core voltage and if i should up my FSB pleeeeeease I really want to overclock this thing soooon..

Thanks....

Well, several of us have similar systems and the TH7-II is the P-4 overclocking king, so you're in luck. When you first boot up, press the "delete" key to enter the BIOS and click on the first option of the SoftMenu. Cycle through the system frequency choices (FSB) and select "user define". This allows you to use the other options below which will be grayed out until you choose "user define". Leave the multiplier at 20X because it's locked. Set the AGP/PCI to "fix". Initially, I'd leave the memory on "auto". Then select the FSB you want, like maybe 110 MHz (2.2 gig) to start out on and to test everything. There you go, you now are overclocking.

Totally Awsome

Sounds good batboy im gonna try that right now but by setting my memory to auto, does'nt that make my memory run slower down to 300mhz from 400mhz? would that be worth it? or am I just confused?

P.s. Jirnsum that negative behavior will get me no where. :rolleyes:

The auto setting will not default to 3X until your memory fsb 133 I believe. Auto should at least keep you at 4X until you get to 2.5ghz. If you are concerned, change it to 400 from auto. Also, keep in mind that when you get to around 2.4, you will most likely need to start increasing the voltage slightly. Stay with the .025 increments until stable. Many of us have found 2.5ghz to be the sweet spot for the 2.0a. 2.5 is easily done, where anything higher requires a lot more voltage and generates more heat.

Good luck,

LJ

Sweeeet

I just overclocked for the first time on my board not one problem, AGP is set to FIX
FSB is at 115 currently running 2.21GHZ and not one problem
Rdram is on auto
and for some reason the temp is staying the same as it was prior to overclocking is this right?

Also can someone give me som more tips on AGP/PCI speeds? are these usefull.

all i have on PCI is a standard Soundblaster Live, a D-Link Network Card, and for agp i have a visiontek Gforce 4 Ti 4600? is there anyway i can tweak it to get some extra performance gains...??? thanks im going to 2.5 GHZ brb :mad:

you need to stress your processor for some time to see how high its temperature will get. Use Superpi or SisofSandra for this. Superpi will also tell you whether your system is REALLY stable. You may have floating point errors without knowing it.

You should overclock in small steps (like batboy meant when he told you to start at 110 FSB) and test each time for stability and temperature

Ok cool

Im at 2.31GHZ right now all seems well to the untrained eye.

I will do what you Jirnsum and download Superpi i already have sandra, thanks for the info.

Im worried about this though when i boot up my RDRAM speed says 460/115 does that mean its running at 460MHZ?

Awsome

Well do you know where i can download that super pi at i cant seem to find it :( also what do you think the limit is for RDRAM Mhz wise?

Sweeet

Ok ill run that Super Pi and let you know how it goes, I was running 3dmark 2001SE right now left the room and it was just sitting on my desktop i think it exited it unexpectedly :( But anyway off to download Winrar and extract then run.

When do you think would be a good time to boost up my core voltage ??? like at what interval? 120/ 125? and by how much?

The fact that 3DMark crashed indicates you probably have to up the Vcore a bit. Try running Superpi, if it comes back saying "Rounding Error" of "SQRT no Equal" or something like that, increase the Vcore by the smallest amount possible. Get into windows again, and rerun superpi. All the while wathcing your temps

No Pi Problems

I have run the Pi at 16k all the way upto 4MB and always finsished succesfully even while still using my comp :D its quite an amazing thing it really is.

Ok tell me this now what should i leave my agp/pci Mhz too? and i want to goto 2.5 and thats it all call it quits once im there?

also whats this burning the chip in stuff? does it actually burn it in so that it operates better at that speed? and after doing so can i still go back to the original clock speed? P.s. I understand that burning it in means a heavy load i just want to know whats the point other then to check temps and stability?

There is no point to burning in other than to test temps and stability.

Superpi up to 4MB doesn't tell you that much though. Try running the larger problems. They really give temps in your system time to stabilise (needs 30-60 minutes). I know this will be testing your patience, but hey: a good overclocker doesn't barge ahead like a wild bull ;) He (or she ofcourse) takes his/her time, and evalueates temps and stability at every FSB increment

And now: some sleep!

Possible Bad News.

Jirnsumm I want to replicate your system exactly. I was upto 2.3 but i did a 32MB chunk on SuperPi and it failed and just couldnt do it i only tried to bump the vcore up.25 but it still failed.

So can you just tell me what your Vcore is set too? and your FSB? and your RDRAM? and anything else special? pleeeease 2.4 is where i want to be.

Errrrrrrrr.

Ok I know this is off topic from my thread but i just have to ask cause i dont know who else to ask :(

I have 2 IBM 60GB ATA/100 Drives setup for raid.

Now prior to using the Abit TH7II-Raid's HPT Controller i had it setup on a Intel motherboard I850 with a "Promise ATA/100 Raid Card" and it worked great, damn near perfect and then i migrated to the TH7II-Raid's HPT and formated and started fresh again. And i have Installed XP and all the same programs that I had on my old computer maybe even less.

And well basically it runs like **** check out my picture that I included. Its running slower then a normal ATA/100 drive.

Im about 2 steps away from re-formating and putting my old raid controller in. Although i would really hate to do that. And i am using the newest drivers provided by HPT.

I mean god**** an 18MS seek time on RAID Jesus i mine as well jump in there and look for the files myself :beer:

If someone could help i would really appreciate it.

P.S. Do you have your (2) 40GB setup on RAID batboy? If so I would sure like to know what your score is and also your drive model?

Last edited:
Back