• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard Sound TH7-II RAID + PCI Soundcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apie!

Registered
Is there any way to use the onboard soundcard and use an additional soundcard as well? or will the Bios just disable the onboard snd at the moment he recognizes another soundcard? I mean, I know it does that, but is therre any way to prevent it from doing that? :)

tia

I have an M-audio 24/96 installed but i use the onboard sound for gaming with headphones...no trouble here,
D.

I was thinking you had to manually disable the onboard sound in the BIOS. I've heard that in some cases it might cause a conflict, but even if it did, you probably could change IRQs around. I bet it's possible. Are you thinking about running another set of speakers or something?

I indeed had to manually disable the sound in the BIOS. Without doing that it keeps assigning IRQ's to the card (and resources not used are wasted resources in my opinion ;)). I never tested it by plugging in speakers into the onboard sound ports though.

Same question as Batboy: why would you want to do this?

I`ve done it because of the connections on the M-Audio. I wanted to plug in a combi headphone/microphone and it was easier than going through the rigmarole with my card not being regocnized by apps such as messenger that lay down and die as soon as they don`t`t see a Soundblaster compatible card.
D.

dood_dk,

I've been leaning toward the exact same setup as you have. I'm in the midst of putting together a TH7II-RAID w/ a 2.0a and was thinking about getting the M-audio 2496 (I'm assuming that's the Audiophile 2496 you have as opposed to the Delta DiO 2496) for audio work for digital video and using the onboard sound for games w/ headphones.

Just wondering if you've been happy with the 2496 card? If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work do you use it for? Do games not usually recognize it? And, lastly, what kind of sound quality are you getting with games using the onboard sound?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Eggroll :)

Hi Eggroll,
it is the Audiophile 24/96 and it is stunning. That´s about all i can say about it. I compose/remix using it with Cubase and Cool Edit and have never regretted buying it. I have no problems with games recognizing it, just apps that use mic communication like messenger, i`ve no idea why. The onboard sound is fine for games, although i only use it with headphones.
D.

dood_dk said:
I have an M-audio 24/96 installed but i use the onboard sound for gaming with headphones...no trouble here,
D.

hmm strange, when I take a look at the device manager (win xp pro) there's no sign of the onboard sound at all...

however, it does show the integrated soundcontroller (Intel) on the AIW 8500DV card plus the Audigy Platinum.

the reason I want to do this, is because I currently have the AIW sound connected to the Audigy, but this setup isn't stable. So I wanted to get rid of my Audigy, buy a Hercules Fortissimo II instead, but the Fortissimo II doens't have a connector for digital sound (from cd-rom). So I figured: for digital sound I just use the onboard sound if possible...

maybe the onboard sound disables itself when there are already 2 other soundcards?

Are you sure its the controller from your AIW that`s showing up?
When Xp`s own drivers are installed mine looks like this,
D

Back