• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC or Not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

Should I use ECC or non ECC? What is the difference. What is the best cas latency for PC2100 and PC 2700 or should I use different ram? 2.5, 3, or 2 Cas? And does any one know where to buy some good ram for my Penium 4 1.6A that im getting with an asus P4S333 or P4S533 motherboard? Thank you for your help. I'm pretty new at this stuff.

ECC is Error correction code. It was made for mostly servers. It corrects errors sent to the ram although there arent many. I keep mine off. Im not sure if it slows down the ram but it wont help u very much

Last edited:
The smaller the Cas latency the better. If you check memory prices a cas 2 mem will cost more then a cas 2.5 or 3. They are better quality and slightly faster. As for the ECC, I agree they are mostly for servers. I doubt they will slow down your system. However if you want a slightly more reliable system go ahead. The P4S533 are going to require some high speed DDR PC2700. Go with a mem that are rated higher like the new PC3000 if you plan on overclocking.

get the non-ecc. you wont need it at all.

im not sure but i think that ecc memories, like the registered ones will use one memory cycle in order to perform the checking and correction - this is something you can check in the crucial's website. this means it wont perform as well as a non-ecc ram. plus the ecc memories use not to overclock as much.
i had an ecc stick once which i kept disabled all the time.
its really something that only servers will get any benefit from, because servers perform high risk operations - its not your case.
i agree that you should get the cas 2, the pc3000 would be a good choice if you can afford it.

Last time I looked at crucial's site, they indeed said ECC was slower and they recommended non ECC for non critical apps. How much is slower? Maybe not enough to tell the differance. Your call...

Thanks for your help.

I will be buying non ecc pc 3000 or higher if they make it and I can afford it. All I have to do now is find the crucial web site. Do any of you know a thread with links to a lot of major sites for products. Thank you again.

plus the ecc memories use not to overclock as much.

umm. let me tell ya, ecc = 148 fsb and mem dumps.

non ecc = 168 fsb no problems :p

so you are 100% correct.

Like they said ECC is meant for servers. ECC is on the big sticks (1gig) for servers, and those sticks are usually buffered, plus registered.

They aren't really meant to overclock.

Yodums

so non ecc 3000 if i can afford it

but do they make non ecc 3000 with cas 2 or will i have to get 2.5

Back