• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone soldered the TI 533 drcgs yet ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanjong

so have anyone done that ? whats the result of it ??? and yeah. if it is soldered , which is better ? the one from ICS -13 ? or the TI ? anyways yeah does anyone know if any company makes a smd socket i can plug the drcgs into so that i can solder the socket onto the mobo so i cant exchange the drcgs if i want ? i want to know this cause i wanna do an experiment on this see how effective the TI 533 is compared to ICS -03 . anyone care to do this research for me about the socket ? if anyone knows put up a link of it ,thanks. i'll post the results here if the experiment is a success ,thanks

sockets for smts do exist but I couln't find any for that, had the same idea myself. As for testing them you would need memory that would outperform the drcg to see where they give out and I dought even 1066 would do that and its not out yet.

well toms did say something about a pc1200 rambus coming soon. i thought that will exceed the drcgs. i am thinking that those rambus modules will overclock to somewhere between 1500 or more. anyways anyone knows about those sockets ? ideas anyone ? or does someone have a definite answer on how effective the drcgs are. yeah hehe since toms have the rambus module how about asking them to do the benchmarking

I read & posted that same article & no one ever commented on it, till now?

It seems that add'ing the new chips make a diffrents, but....
you need the new RDRAM " PC1066" ot better to really tell if the upgrade is worth it.

-------
1.8 [email protected] @1.7.7 Vcore
Temps: CPU: 43C. Case 31C
Mr.NATUAL'S 7D Bios
Stock cooling
2X256 PC800 "Samsung" 870 Mem.bus Speed: 2X436 "873"
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 380021A 80GB 7200RPM
ENERMAX DUAL FAN EG365P-VE 350W
Everything SOLD AS A ROCK!

Last edited:
well no offence but i dun think that artical is good for anything. firstly the guy didn't even let us know how much an overclock is possible without the mod. he just said he can overclock much higher. i think his limiting factor is not his rambus drcgs but rather his CPU. and his final result aren't even stable. sorry if i offended anyone by saying this but this artical is crap. it's not even worth reading. and yeah, no one have yet stated the difference between the ics -13 which is capable of 600 bus compared to the TI's drcgs which is stated at 533

sorry for the bad english. kinda in a rush . anyways hope to hear more from everyone

ivanjong said:
well toms did say something about a pc1200 rambus coming soon. i thought that will exceed the drcgs. i am thinking that those rambus modules will overclock to somewhere between 1500 or more. anyways anyone knows about those sockets ? ideas anyone ? or does someone have a definite answer on how effective the drcgs are. yeah hehe since toms have the rambus module how about asking them to do the benchmarking
I like the socket idea. Too much heat causing damage to the IC's was one of my main concerns (besides the contacts being sooooooo small.

Anyone with a link to a useable socket?????

Ivan,

You're luck, I wrote that article. ;)

I totally disagree with you of course. If you took time to really READ that article, you would have seen that with my stock 2.4G P4, the highest stable OC I got was 2.95GHz. , not too shabby and the RDRAM clock was 948MHz.

You are correct that the limiting factor was the CPU on this setup. However, the DRCGs made a huge difference in the highest FSB I could go and the memory speed over all. Before the change of those DRCGs, I could only hit an FSB of 112MHz. with that chip due to the RDRAM clocks getting too flaky. My highest FSB was 123MHz. with this setup and air cooling. 3GHz would be easy with better cooling or a higher end CPU.

I'll also be posting an article shortly with a CPU that is much more capable and using that same board with the mod. Without that mod, the board's stock DRCGs can't handle anything close to PC1066. You'll see the results early next week. Lastly, if I had access to the NEW ICS parts at the time, I would have used those for sure. You're right on that one too. They are better parts and the TI's are rated only to a 533MHz. clock. However, the stock ICS parts that are on the TH7II-RAID are only rated at 400MHz.

-Peace

Last edited:
Anyone can help me where can I get (order, buy, samples or anything) ICS 9212-13?

I ordered some sample pieces of TI DRCGs, but I think the the ICS is the better choice (600Mhz capable, fully (guaranteed :) ) compatible with -03.

Thanks your advice.

P4 1.6@2496, 512 SyncMax RD

hi Davo , sorry if i really did offended you. but anyways you should actually put those details in the article and it'll be great. anyways from what i've heard people running 1.6 A have pass the level of 1066 with only using those ICS - 03 that is surpose to not be able to and oh yeah by only using pc800 rambus module.. and those systems are stable too. i'm just thinking is it worth doing this mod. the ics -03 is very capable of reaching 533 memory bus. does this mean the TI 533 drcg will go much much further than 533 or 1066 ? and if thats true what can people overclock their memory to using ICS - 13 and pc 1200 Rambus modules ? anyone with an ES 1.6 A that have done this mod using drcg TI533 wanna try to give everyone this answer ? anyways Davo i hope you can do this . let everyone know whats the limit of this drcg. sorry for the long post

Impressive work and a nice article, Davo. While I'm not doubting your word that on your TH7-II mobo the DRCG chips were not up to running 1066 MHz, there are lots of folks (including myself) that have been able to run ours at those speeds. In fact, as of last weekend, I was running the system at 1080 MHz (135 FSB at the "400" memory setting). I do have an extra 80mm fan blowing on the DRCG chips and RDRAM. I must admit though that I can't clock those speeds without the extra cooling.

hey guys i've found out that the ics -13 doesn't really support 600 bus speeds on the datasheet and it's jitters skyrocket compared to ti , yeah the ics 13 only supports 533, so the ti and the ics is the same except that the TI have lower jitters (more stable) i'll solder mine using a blower tomorrow. not gonna risk fryin my mobo using a solder tipb

blower? You mean a hot air gun or is this a tool for soldering smts,well good luck if nothing else you will be ready for 1066 or 1200. Please let us know how you soldered them on and how well it went(eg. did you want to kill a small animal after)

Go to the Texas Instruments website and search for the parts. Part # CDCFR83.
when you get to the spec page for this part #, look for "Sample", fill out a short form and they will send you 2.

hey everyone, well haven't got it back yet but i will tomorrow anyways. yeah thats what i mean by blower(it's a special tool a kind of hot air blower used primary for soldering smt chips or any chips that have small connection points can even solder small bga chips hehe bga memory chips anyone with those torn memory chips need repairing ?. how did you get yours soldered ? not solder gun i hope ? anyways. it should be easy. yeah. i wanna let you all in a bad news the TI 533 is out of stock for now so for those who wants to order samples now they might need to wait a tad bit. but i guess it'll come sooner or later . well i ordered more samples from TI for other stuffs and i saw that the TI 533 drcg is out of stock. but hang on i think some new samples will be out soon yeah maybe they are making new drcgs. not sure about that but thats how semiconductor company does bussiness when they have something newer and better they stop production of old chips.

I have four of the ti533 in my desk but I have not soldered them on yet,not nesesary right now maybe when 1066mem comes out. And yes all I have is a soldering iron and I am not looking forward to it I probably shouldn't even etempt it without the proper tools.

wow how come you get 4 ??? they only will send me 3 anyways i would really advice against it if you dun have a blower . anyways if and when you need to solder the chip you can go to a place where they fix phones hand phones. they will have a blower and ask them to do it for ya . and say you'll pay for the work. it'll be way worth it than having a mobo that doesn't work later. anyways most pc 800 rams will run at pc 1066 . branded ones.

my pc 800 sucks I have 128 4 device and they only clock to 1000 as for having four ti 533. I orderd one by mistake, did not hit "update quantity" so I ordered three more. I wish I could get someone else to solder these things on but I live in a small town and no one hase the proper tools. I asked the local repaire shop and they wouldn't touch them. So I might just wait for a trip out of town and get it done then.

Back