• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant get samsung 2700 to run in aggressive settings (turbo mode)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

I can not get my samsung to run at any voltage stable with aggresive settings (2-2-2... turbo mode on my 8k3a). I get all types of crashes when i do that. I can run the ram at 166mhz but i can do that on normal mode only. what is wrong? btw i am not overclocked and running cpu at 1.75vcore

Set it to turbo then write down all the settings. Then set it to normal then go in and manually change all the settings to what they were in turbo. There is a problem with the auto settings. Good luck and keep us informed!!!!!

Also in a recent review,was written that the Samsung needs a good burn-in initially,so that you can have max performance.

doing that thing by setting the normal mode to turbo settings worked! thanks!

the only problem is i do not get quite as high a score in sandra as i did using the turbo mode... only a little lower.

these scores seem a little low for my ram.. whats up? are these fine?

what is model number or what i can buy this memory samsung
how i can buy a my salesman

I have to run at 2.5-2-2 over 180mhz.

I did a sandra test at 170mhz 2.5-2-2 and 2-2-2 the difference was 10 points in sandra on my epox 4sda.

If you use two sticks of memory using the cmd rate 1T setting will usually cause instability.

Last edited:
kendan said:
Do you have 4 way interleave turned on. Int. 2256/ Float 2140

And I have mine @ cas 2.5 . It just would not get stable over 142 with it @cas 2?????

here is the Newegg.com page with the Samsung 2700 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1077&DEPA=1

Hi kendan,

is your Samsung RAM the original version (in other word, using Samsung designed PCB)? or have you "burn in" the RAM before raising the voltage?

Among many RAMs I have, the current Samsung PC2700 I am using (ATP designed PCB; my samsung original order hasnt arrived yet) performs the best and did reach 215 mhz with setting at "normal" and 201 Mhz with setting at 2-2-2-5-1 (turbo plus 1T on time command).

Attached is a image of Sandra report indicating memroy running at DDR 402.

Following is a brief summary on other RAMs I have tried:

Epox 8k3a+ (rev. 1.2)
AMD 2000XP
Corsair XMS3000 -- 199 @ 2-2-2-5-1
Kingmax PC2700 -- 180 @ 2-2-2-5-1
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip stamping A version) -- fail @ 2-2-2-5-1
Samsung PC2700 (ATP designed; still waiting for Samsung original) -- 201 @ 2-2-2-5-1
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelxter CD-ROM

MV99

i think it might be my motherboard but i am not sure at all. i can not get my 2700 to run in aggressive settings even by setting it to normal and then changing it. This is really ****ing me off. i hate epox's and i think i am gonna rma both my ram and mobo and get an abit.

hey i noticed that my memory had only the black memory chips on one side of the ram, not on both sides... is this normal? i was gonna put a heatspreader on it but i can only do it on one side of the ram..

anyways, i think my problem is my motherboard which i have had nothing but problems with (i highly recommened you all not to get a 8k3a). I am gonna keep the ram and if i can not figure out wtf is wrong w/ my system by the weekend, i am gonna go and order a soyo dragon ultra. i have had enough with epox (my 8kha+ lit on fire, my 8k3a was missing an ide port, and now my 8k3a+ has lots of bugs on it..) and am gonna switch over to soyo... i was thinkin abit for a while but the new dragon ultra looks awesome and is supposed to have great overclocking features also... all i need is a board that will run at 12.5x140somthing or 11x166.

MV99 said:

Hi kendan,

is your Samsung RAM the original version (in other word, using Samsung designed PCB)? or have you "burn in" the RAM before raising the voltage?

Yes it is original Samsung on a Samsung PCB.I ordered it from Newegg. I have not unlocked the chip yet and have gotten it stable where it is just look in my sig. If you have anymore questions just ask!!!

Edit: I forgot to answer about the burn in. No I have not it is at default voltage and has been Folding since I got it together I am probably going to raise the voltage a little at a time When I get my chip unlocked.

Last edited:
kendan said:

Yes it is original Samsung on a Samsung PCB.I ordered it from Newegg. I have not unlocked the chip yet and have gotten it stable where it is just look in my sig. If you have anymore questions just ask!!!

Edit: I forgot to answer about the burn in. No I have not it is at default voltage and has been Folding since I got it together I am probably going to raise the voltage a little at a time When I get my chip unlocked.

Unlocking you CPU will be a big help. That way, you can start stressing your memory without pushing you CPU at the same time.

I always trying to gradually OC my system. By that, I mean I do it one item at a time so I have better idea on how each individual item's ceiling.

When you mix too many OCed items together. When it fails, it is harder to pin point which one is the bottleneck.

As for Samsung running @ 2-2-2-5-1, I dont quite remember did I do it at 2.5V. I think I use setting at both fast and fatest @ 2.5v and 2.6V to burn in the Ram. Then, I started setting @ 2-2-2-5-1 from 2.7V. It was little time consuming but I felt that patience will give better reward.

All above is just my own learning expierence and I am hoping those info can help you to certain extend.

MV99

Emericana

With my 8K3A+ an G3 Ti200 an Samsung Pc2700, I can only run turbo in bios for mem timming with the 23.11 nvidia drivers. If I use any of the later drivers I have to run normal in bios an set timming manually to turbo settings. Try it.

Emericana said:
how do you burn in the ram??? just run sandra on it? how long will it take?

There are many applications you can run to burn in. I just plain use 3Dmark to run about 3 loops on each setting (fast, fatest) start at 2.5V and increase 0.1V per round.

This may not be the most effective way of burn in. I dont have very good patience to do more than that...:)

The result after burn in is reasonalbe to me so far.

Epox 8k3a+ (rev. 1.2)
AMD 2000XP
Corsair XMS3000 -- 199 @ 2-2-2-5-1
Kingmax PC2700 -- 180 @ 2-2-2-5-1
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip stamping A version) -- fail @ 2-2-2-5-1
Samsung PC2700 (ATP designed; still waiting for Samsung original) -- 201 @ 2-2-2-5-1
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelxter CD-ROM

MV99

yeah i have the 23.11 nvids installed.. i read that fix on amdmb.com ... i reseated everything and now i am gettting better results for whatever reason. i changed heatsinks from a heatpipe w/ 92mm (46C load) to a sk6 w/ 38 delta (40C load) and for whatever reason, running in turbo it seems to be not crashing... however, i have NOT yet run the sandra burn in prog. i am just judging this from normal windows usage.

i will post soon to tell you if the pc crashes after running sandra for 5 hours.

Emericana, where did u get the ram from?

i want to know if Newegg is selling single or double sided.

-Malakai

Back