• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new EP4BDA2+ wont power on!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polandparker

Registered
Hi all,
after reading all the hype here and elsewhere on the 4bda2+ i bought the board.

I have just installed it brand new. It has a PIV 1.8 Ghz with alpha, brand new p4 power supply. I will not power on! Not even the powersupply starts! I have tried to exchange the AGP card to a PCI graphics card, I have tried my old power supply (which not has a 12v 4pin connector btw), I have tried removing one of the Crucial 512 Mb DDR sticks (selected at crucials site going through the 'recommended for this board' thingie. Nothing helps.

The board gets power though: "led1" just to the left of the "PWR FAN", to the right if the DDR slots, is shining red. Is this good or bad? There is a tiny battery symbol just by that led...

Thanks in advance,
Poland.

Do you have the input voltage switch on your new PS set to 115V? If it's in the 230V position, the board LED will illuminate, but you will not be able to turn the PS on.

When you connected your old PS, did you use an adapter to plug into the 4 pin 12V connector or leave it unconnected? My experience with P4 boards is that if this is not connected to power, the system will not boot. It requires the extra juice from this connector.

I know this is pretty basic, but I haven't had enough coffee yet this AM.

re:

Hi Lyle,
thanks for the tip. Actually, I live in a country where 220 volt is the current used. I presume this should be reflected on the PSU?

And no, when I tried the old PSU I didnt use the connector for the second 4pin connector, I just plugged the big classic one in since it seemed to me the manual suggested that both would work. But that was pretty desperate I guess.

So Ill try to find another PSU with p4 connectors huh? Anything else youd recommend me to try? Say for example, Ive got two 512 mb Crucial DDR sticks in the board. If ddr voltage is too low, the board will still power on right? And go funky later on instead?
:)
TIA, Poland

The memory config should not be stopping you from booting. I booted my bda2+ with two sticks of 512MB Mushkin initially with no problems. It may be that you have a faulty new PS. I can't think of too much more right now, but I will be back if something comes to mind.

re:

hi again -
found the problem. The pin connectors for power on and leds etc in my case were mismarked!
Now here's the next problem (Arrgh). I cant boot with two sticks in! Got two Crucial 512. Works only when one of them is in (doesnt matter which). I tried upping the ddr voltage - even to 2.9 for a short test! Same thing - didnt help. Wtf?? Any ideas what to do?
Regards, Poland

Re: re:

polandparker said:
hi again -
found the problem. The pin connectors for power on and leds etc in my case were mismarked!
Now here's the next problem (Arrgh). I cant boot with two sticks in! Got two Crucial 512. Works only when one of them is in (doesnt matter which). I tried upping the ddr voltage - even to 2.9 for a short test! Same thing - didnt help. Wtf?? Any ideas what to do?
Regards, Poland

I just had that exact problem with my soyo board, I sent the stick that wouldnt work back to Mushkin and they reprogramed it to SPD 222 and it worked fine after that.

They even Fedex'ed it back to me overnight.....they are a great company imo

Back