• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not planning on OC'ing need opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Im sick of my Athlon XP running at insanely high temps so Im swithching out the cpu and my Asus mobo (a7v266-e which I paid $199 for)

I do not planning on overclocking (bad experiences) I need some opinions on a choice board. I have gone with Asus lately and have always gone Pentium until now. I am running a Geforce4 and have two 256mb ddr sticks. Im looking for stability, quality and want ot utilize the 400mhx fsb. thx in advance :p

Just buy an Intel stock board that takes DDR and a P4 1.6A or faster retail. You wont even have to mess enter the bios just slap in the chip and RAM and plug in your drives. If your not overclocking then save $$$ and time. Very stable boards just very limited for Overclocking.

but if you change your mind later then your stuck with the mobo.

too bad the shop wont let me trade
Well they better fix the thing real quick cause im ticked off :argue:

I would suggest getting a board that supports pc1066 rdram or pc800 rdram(if you can't wait, get the pc800, though I think the pc1066 rdram + motherboards may be available now).

If you want to stick with DDR, which I don't suggest, especially running at stock speeds, I would maybe go with a gigabyte board. If your running everything at stock speeds, then its not that hard to choose a board since your not limited to ones with specific overclocking features.

Just keep in mind that pc800 is faster than DDR333 and pc1066 is a lot faster than DDR333. The Pentium 4 was designed to work with Rambus memory and therefore both the cpu FSB and ram speed are in sync, which helps performance wise.

Back