• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p2b-f upgrade and bios help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fulkren

Registered
Greetings all, and thanks for reading my post!

I need some help on an upgrade I am attempting. If anyone has some info that would help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the deal. I have an Asus P2B-F ver 1.00 (no period). with a build 1008 award bios. It is currently running a PII 400mhz processor. What I want to do is upgrade the processor to a PIII.
The problem is, I can't seem to flash the bios! I've downloaded the build 1013a and 1014.002 bios files from the asus website and I have downloaded the aflash.exe, pflash.exe, pflash2.exe, and flash.exe bios flashers. None of them work
:confused: Each and every one of them says that the flash type is "unknown". and won't flash the bios.
I am booting from a dr-dos boot disk with no autoexec.exe or config.sys files on it and I have the current bios set on both boot virus detect "Disable" and bios update set to "Enable".
If anyone has some suggestions on how I can get this board up and running please tell me. It's a great board and I don't want to have to replace it.
For some additional info, the processor I am using for the upgrade will be a P3 850e in an asus S370-L slotket adapter set to 1.8vcore.
I can't just plug in the cpu with the 1008 bios and have it run right ? Do I need the 1013 or 4 bios?
Also if there are any specific jumpers I need to set on the motherboard that you know of, just let me know.

Thoughts, suggestions, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Fulkren

I'm not familiar with this board, but there may very well be a jumper that you have to move to enable BIOS flashing. I'd download the PDF manual.

Thank you for the reply Repo man11.

Good suggestion. I have do a copy of the manual and you don't need to set a jumper to flash the bios.
:D Your suggestion about the manual DID, however, get me thinking about the CD that came with the board. It just happens to have a copy of aflash from two years ago on it. I booted to that flasher and Presto, it recognized the chip right off!
My P2B-F is now blazing away at 850mhz of PIII Power!!

Now the only problem is that the 850 is a 1.7v chip. I can only go down to 1.8v on the Mobo and it's running hot. Something tells me that the stock heatsink is just not gonna cut it.
I wonder if they still sell the Alpha PAL66T's :)

Many thanks for the brain boost Repo man11, you made my evening.

Fulkren

Back