• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Th7-ii Raid - Post Code 05

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggy_Wood

Registered
Not strictly an overclocking problem (that's what I bought the board for but I've not got that far yet), but I hope someone may be able to help me out...

My self-built system had been running with no problems for 2-3 months and then
intermittently failed to load with a beep code on a couple of occasions.
On these occasions a simple reset cleared the problem and no further
diagnosis was undertaken.
However, the problem is now recurring consistently and the system will not
load at all even following reset or power down.

On further investigation the problem occurs at POST Code 05, as shown on the
motherboard LEDs.
The associated beep code appears to be alternate long high and low pitch
tones with an occasional aberration but no discernable pattern.

The specification of the system is as follows:

· Mainboard: Abit TH7II-RAID (BIOS version 37)
· Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.9GHz
· Memory: 2 x Kingston Technology ValueRAM 256MB Non-ECC 800Mhz RAMBUS RIMM
(Using slots A1 and B1 with C-RIMMs in slots A2 and B2)
· Disks: 2 x 30 Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 drives (using IDE 3 and 4 as
RAID 0 on HPT370 RAID Controller)
· Graphics Card: ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON AGP 4x/2x 32Mb
· Monitor CTX PR711F

Other system components (DVD, CD R/W, Soundcard, Ethernet Card, Modem) were
installed but removed as part of diagnosis.

Additionally, as part of diagnosis the following components have been
temporarily swapped for alternative components to no effect:
· Monitor
· Graphics card (3D AGP card swapped for 2D PCI card)
· Keyboard & Mouse

The Memory has also been removed and replaced in slots A2 and B2 to confirm
firm seating in slots.

According to the TH7II-RAID User Manual the POST Code 05 activities are (1)
Blank Out Screen and (2) Clear CMOS error flag.

As part of diagnosis the CMOS memory has also been cleared by use of the
CMOS Memory Clearing Header.

I am now at a loss as to the cause of the problem, other than a failure of
some component on the Mainboard (which I'm pursuing with Abit in the UK and the distributor I bought it through).

Any help gratefully received.

Dude, i have the exact same problem, you just took the words out of my mouth (btw i'm in the UK too).
my motherboard also failed to load sometimes and made those beeps.
I really believe this is a memory problem, i'm thinking about buying 2 new RDRAM, or taking back what i have.

You have not reached my stage yet, where when i switch on my computer all i get is a 05 error and the computer fails too boot everytime, so i basically can't use the computer now.

I'm glad (and sorry) someone other than me has this problem as the more occurrences there are the more likely we are to find a solution. I may not have described it too well, but my system is now useless too unless you like blaring sirens.

I've raised my problem with DABS.COM (whom I bought the components from) and I hope they will either help me diagnose and/or send me replacement parts soon. I think it can only be memory or MoBo.

Please do let me (us) know if new memory solves the problem.

Are you sure that you didn't clear the CMOS while the power was on, as that's what i thought my problem was, but now i'm not sure.
I think its a memory problem because in the last month i was getting corrupt data sometimes, and in my last few succesful boots it showed the wrong amount of RAM at boot up it showed something like 32MB then it changed to 64MB. A few more boots later and that was it.

I had the problem way before I attempted to clear the CMOS.
When I did clear it the system was powered down and unplugged.
I hadn't appreciated that just putting on the jumper cleared the CMOS so I tried powering up, but of course nothing happened.
I powered down, moved the jumper back and tried powering up but the situation was still as it was before I started
i.e. get to 05 then the sirens start :(
I never noticed any RAM size fluctuations, but then I wasn't looking.
The RIMMs failing or in some way incompatible is ceratainly one of the two options.
The only similarities between our configs seem to be the MoBo and the fact that we both have 2 x 256 Mb PC800 RDRAM (but different vendors). Coincidence?

It sounds to me like both are memories screwed up. There's no other way to explain it.
I was quite happy that my computer didn't work - because i have exams in the next week and now i can focus on them :D
but when i finish them next friday, i'm gonna phone the vendor, ask for a replacement RAM and see what they say. If not then i'll send them the RAM so that they can test it for themselves.

I emailed Abit and they said they don't know, so I don't think this is a common bug in the motherboard nor a problem with the motherboard at all.
Intrestingly it actually passes the C1 code when it boots up, but i'm still pretty sure this is a memory problem.

Have either of you guys tried memtest86. Perhaps it might indicate if the problem lies with your memory. You can find it at:

www.memtest86.com

By the way, Wiggy_Wood, what OS are you running and what soundcard do you have?

Good luck,
Eggroll :)

Sorry, Cooler666. I saw that your system was totally down, but I skimmed the earlier messages and thought Wiggy_Wood was only intermittently down. My bad. You could try to get a hold of another mobo or system that takes RDRAM. Is there an electronics store in your area where you can get a mobo and then return it without a restocking fee? Or perhaps a friend with and 850 system?

Eggroll :)

Eggroll,

My problem was intermittent (happened 2-3 times).
Now it is totally useless like Cooler666.

Out of interest I use Windows 98 SE and have a Creative Audigy Player soundcard.
The latter is now removed to isolate the problem and I don't get anywhere near using the former!!

Thanks for the suggestions re. MoBo and RDRAM.

Kin Hell said:
ho hummm,......more Creative Audigy Bull S**t. Now aint that a suprise! :rolleyes:

he just said he removed it and it still doesn't work, so what are you talking about.

from reading what Wiggy Wood said, and I quote:

"Out of interest I use Windows 98 SE and have a Creative Audigy Player soundcard.
The latter is now removed to isolate the problem and I don't get anywhere near using the former!!"

unquote:

I was presuming that he no longer had the problem because he said, and I quote:

The latter is now removed to isolate the problem and I don't get anywhere near using the former"

Unquote:

I was slightly confused by this remark as It made no reference to anything other than the SB Audigy.

Maybe I missed someting else in this post, so I apologise, but I was under the impression that he got no where near the problem/issue with the Audigy removed.

Hence my remark saying and I quote:

"ho hummm,......more Creative Audigy Bull S**t. Now aint that a suprise!"

Unquote:

Basically cos the Audigy is a piece of Crap to setup or even update its Drivers in Most top PC system configurations. So much so. even with an Audigy in a PC, showing in device manager, playing sounds properly but refusing to activater its live drive, it still refuses to Update its drivers, and thats from a CD from Creative who were told about the bull **** problem in the first place.

So it wouldnt be far wrong from assuming the Audigy was the culprit with making cooler666 fall over once in a while. He got no where near this 2-3 times with the Audigy removed!

Heck,...is that straight forward enuff dude!?

I hate being picked apart by doods that dont know me....best I keep my opinions to myself eh,..........k........so y are there these forums around then,........so folk can speak,........not get their normal remarks to posts ripped apart.
Lets keep it fresh eh and save some space in Cyber for fast forums without personal remarks and unnecesary "Quotes"
Questions and answers is what forums are about.
Lame noob remarks are best left in the Irc chat rooms,.......where loads of folk log in but no one speaks.........now aint that great!

Enuff said!

And if anyone thinks thimy last post is out of order, Apologies in advance.

I will remove it if asked
But lets not have a debate/tiff about it,...please,.........that is soooo lame!

Wiggy Wood said, and I quote:

"Out of interest I use Windows 98 SE and have a Creative Audigy Player soundcard.
The latter is now removed to isolate the problem and I don't get anywhere near using the former!!"

that means, he took out the Audigy and it still didn't work. Kin Hell this isn't Shakespeare, it shouldn't be too hard to understand two lines of writing.
but i'll explain it to you: former means Windows 98 and he still doesn't get anywhere near using it, meaning that the computer still doesn't boot. so keep your remarks to yourself and stop crapping on this thread.

Wiggy i think this is a motherboard problem now, as i can smell something is cooking in the case, and it doesn't smell like RAM it smells more like the motherboard frying slowly.

I'm with you Cooler666.
I'd have C..L..A..R..I..F..I..E..D... sooner but I was away for a few days.
I absolutely do not get as far as loading Windows 98.

I was slightly sceptical about the memory being at fault, but was happy to believe it was an option as it's a darn sight easier to replace to isolate the fault. I've had no response from either Abit or DABS.COM so I'll be going into "unhappy customer just about to write to the mags saying so" mode next week. Might make no difference, but I'll feel a lot better for it!!

I've not noticed any burning smells, but with the side panels off and loadsa fans I'm not sure I would without sticking my head in the case.

I'm not sure if its a burning smell, it may just some dust that i'm smelling. I'm gonna find out later this week what to do once i'm on holiday.

I'm still unsure if this is a processor problem or a motherboard problem and which one needs replacing. Now the computer does not even turn on, there is a green light on the motherboard but it would not switch on.

anyone willing to help us here.

Back