• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDRAM vs DDR results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

I know some of you refuse to believe RDRAM will greatly pull ahead of DDR so here is the latest benchmarks from Tom's hardware showing indeed not even the upcoming DDRII will come close to the newer RDRAM modules.
Click Here!

I believe that Rambus is the better RAM. Pity that Rambus' early high prices put most of the market off.

You can't base all on one test. Let's wait until the modules get out, and real people can test the REAL chips, not the negineering moduels. Then, if Rambus beats the ddr, I will be convinced. Not before.

elysium

Yes rdram is faster when you run at the same memory speeds.

When you overclock you can't rely on rdram to run at the speed needed for a max cpu overclock.

Yes you can set the rdram to underclock at x3 but then the performance is not nearly as good.

The next generation rdram when it comes out should be pretty great for overclocking 400 cpu's but it might not be good for the upcoming 533 cpu's.

A 2.4 533 cpu if overclocked to 3ghz will require a fsb of 166mhz.

Will the 1066 rdram be able to run at that speed?
No one will know until it comes out.

One thing not mentioned at Toms hardware is that the current fast rdram motherboards use a dual channel.

By the end of summer there are supposed to be dual channel ddr boards out.

Last edited:
I can't see any mention of DDR-II ram there, DDR-II is suppose to be out like end of this yr or start of next yr so i would doubt there are any engineering samples out. If I have missed it could you plz tell me where it is, thanks.

wow, 415FPS in quake is drool factor!!! :p

will they ever have a AMD/RAMBUS mobo platform chipset
thingy?

Starfox said:
wow, 415FPS in quake is drool factor!!! :p

will they ever have a AMD/RAMBUS mobo platform chipset
thingy?

I seriusly doubt that. The AMD won't gain from the extra bandwith at such amount that AMD would benefit from leaving ddr. The AMD cpu's move their fsb together with DDR speeds it seems....

elysium

Back