• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kingmax or samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to this review by VR-Zone , the original Samsung pc2700 can go all the way to 209FSB, while the Kingmax could only go up to 180. and the Samsung is cheaper too, so my suggestion would be the Samsung. but i've also heard good things on Kingmax from other members, maybe someone with Kingmax can add to this?:D

Kato said:
According to this review by VR-Zone , the original Samsung pc2700 can go all the way to 209FSB, while the Kingmax could only go up to 180. and the Samsung is cheaper too, so my suggestion would be the Samsung. but i've also heard good things on Kingmax from other members, maybe someone with Kingmax can add to this?:D

Thanks for the link, didn,t know you had to break in samsung.

Kingmax is good. And supposedly the only true PC2700 ram. the others are OC ram. Kingmax is good stuff though. Haven't heard much about Samsung.

HugoHenry said:
Kingmax is good. And supposedly the only true PC2700 ram. the others are OC ram. Kingmax is good stuff though. Haven't heard much about Samsung.

According to other sights samsung is true 2700/333.

hardass said:
2700/333 DDR which brand is better, or are they equal.

Just a reference for you from my test result:

Among many RAMs I have, the current Samsung PC2700 I am using (ATP designed PCB; my samsung original order hasnt arrived yet) performs the best and did reach 215 mhz with setting at "normal" and 201 Mhz with setting at 2-2-2-5-1 (turbo plus 1T on time command).

In my own opinion, unless you are comparing Samsung PC2700 and Kingmax PC3200 (DDR400), I would certainly go for Samsung. BTW, I just got another 512MB Samsung yesterday before I go home from the same company ATP (they are just right next to my office; their main business is in ECC high end RAM for server). I am quite happy with their own designed PCB for PC2700 with Samsung chip.

Following is a brief summary on other RAMs I have tried. Hope it will help you on decision making.

Epox 8k3a+ (rev. 1.2)
AMD 2000XP
Corsair XMS3000 -- 199 @ 2-2-2-5-1
Kingmax PC2700 -- 180 @ 2-2-2-5-1
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip stamping A version) -- fail @ 2-2-2-5-1
Samsung PC2700 (ATP designed; still waiting for Samsung original) -- 201 @ 2-2-2-5-1
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelxter CD-ROM

MV99

Re: Re: kingmax or samsung

MV99 said:

Just a reference for you from my test result:

Among many RAMs I have, the current Samsung PC2700 I am using (ATP designed PCB; my samsung original order hasnt arrived yet) performs the best and did reach 215 mhz with setting at "normal" and 201 Mhz with setting at 2-2-2-5-1 (turbo plus 1T on time command).

In my own opinion, unless you are comparing Samsung PC2700 and Kingmax PC3200 (DDR400), I would certainly go for Samsung. BTW, I just got another 512MB Samsung yesterday before I go home from the same company ATP (they are just right next to my office; their main business is in ECC high end RAM for server). I am quite happy with their own designed PCB for PC2700 with Samsung chip.

Following is a brief summary on other RAMs I have tried. Hope it will help you on decision making.

Epox 8k3a+ (rev. 1.2)
AMD 2000XP
Corsair XMS3000 -- 199 @ 2-2-2-5-1
Kingmax PC2700 -- 180 @ 2-2-2-5-1
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip stamping A version) -- fail @ 2-2-2-5-1
Samsung PC2700 (ATP designed; still waiting for Samsung original) -- 201 @ 2-2-2-5-1
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelxter CD-ROM

MV99

Thanks, I,ve made my choice! Samsung it is.

I belive Samsung has the upper hand. And Samsung produces true pc2700, one of the few that does.

elysium

I have the Samsung pc2700 and it ROCKS!! This is excellent oc memory and would recomend it to anyone. The prices right now on 512 are droping like crazy!

w0w samsung just came out with some pc3200

there is also a link to the review of about 12 different pc2700 and up rams. check it out :p

Slash said of his 2555SL: "I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again : I won’t even consider trying anything else. Something that consistent - you just don’t **** with!"

well these samsungs rock like hell...

so would you guys recommend the heat spreader or not? i have some but i am currently not using it. i am at 163 fsb right now with manual settings. should i put the spreader on and try to burn the mem in and use speed timings and go for more? let me know.:D

There is no point in getting real pc2700 unless you have a motherboard with a chipset made to run 166mhz+. If you dont have such a mobo then I would recommend going with the samsung ram.

I use kingmax PC 2700 on a EP-8k7a+ and cant go over 176 MHz.
And this is with a Vdimm modd to the board too. :cry:

So the decision lies on whether you want true pc2700 or just a really high overclock on your FSB. :beer:

Back