• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-- 2x256 or 1x512--

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
im stuck between these 2 choices. getting some samsung but
dont know which.

people have said 2 sticks are faster, some have said 1 is faster.
i have 4 dimms so that's not a problem. any help?

lol thanks a lot, and to think i even posted there **slaps head** :p

i would get 2x256 cussi have a 2x256 and 1 x 512 and the 512 doesnt let me overclock as well

memory

It also depends on how much more memory, if any, you intend to get. You may have 4 dimms, but I can give you a 99% guaruntee that you will only be able to use 3 of them. It takes registered ECC or at least single-sided memory units, or else those 4 slots just won't work well together. You're going to want to use as few sticks as possible for the sake of easy overclocking.

But its chancy either way you go because memory sticks are individualistic pieces of hardware. I'm not gonna recommend one way or the other, but I'd probably get a 512 stick if I had the cash. Especially since a lot of 256 sticks of Samsung are single-sided and use the same density memory chips as the 512 sticks.

! x 512 should be better because with 2 x 256, you have twice the chance of getting a stick that will limit your fsb, you should be able to get a higher fsb with just the one stick.

Back