• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vmem mod without soldering - grabbers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxer

Well, I will be doing the Vmem mod to my Abit TH7II-Raid but I have a problem. The "Test Clip" that I got from radio shack, which is similar to the Pomona Grabbers, is too big to fit on the small legs of the HIP chip. I have everything all setup with a variable 100k ohm pot too :(

So my question is, are you guys doing the Vmem mod using the Pomona Grabber? I won't solder the wire to the chip since thats just crazy to me (i'm not good at precision soldering very small things and would not risk it). Thanks, a reply soon would be appreciated since I will be ordering the Pomona grabbers soon and don't want to waste the money if they don't fit on the HIP chip.

If you are using the Radio Shack "Precision Micro-Clip" part# 278-017 you have to modify them first.

1) Bend the pincher to a sharper angle
2) Cut off half of the pincher
3) Sand the plastic pincher stop so that it is about half its original size
4) Use a magnifying glass to verify installation

It only takes about a minute...

I have the "Mini-Hook Adaptors" part# 27-334 from Radio Shack (just search for "27-334" on the Radio Shack website, will come right up) and I can't seem to get it to fit. The clips workson some of the chips but the HP one seems to be too small. I may just order the Pomona Grabber if I can't get this to work.

They do look a little bigger than the ones I am using - but it is hard to tell since there isn't anything else in the pic to reference to. The specifications link doesn't cover size and the Mechanical Drawing link is dead.

It's not like these parts are expensive - but you hate to have to wait a week for a part to come when you're all ready to do some overclockin' :D

Can anyone confirm that the Pomona Grabbers will work for the Abit TH7II-Raid Vmem mod. I need ones small enough to fit on the HP chip.

Back