• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Rimms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbs

Registered
Hope the picture works!

I have tried this method of cooling the Rimms..

Take 4x40mm fans and superglue them together in a strip - i have used Papst 412H's since they were free :) and give good output.

Use Superglue to attach them to the side of the processor fan making sure that they are lined up over the Rimms and blowing down over them - If you have all four slots occupied you might want to angle the strip of fans.

Still machining my ramsinks.

I'm trying to figure out a fan combination for the TH7II-RAID/2.0a system I'm putting together. I have the Alpha, too, which draws air away from the cpu rather than blowing down on it. What did you do with those rimm fans? Are they blowing or drawing? If they're blowing, wouldn't they be blowing hot air from the rimms to where the Alpha would be pulling it through the cpu? Just curious if you measured cpu temps before the rimm fans were installed and after.

Thanks,
Eggroll :)

Now how about doubling up on those fans, you know "duo-prop", now that would be something. ;-)
If you got the temp probe connected to a rimm, what are your temps? Good job.

Well this is a bit of subject but always, has anyone tried to make a water block to cool the RAM? That would be cool. since it seems like the water coolers are trying to cool everything with water.

The second temp probe use to be connected to the copper plate on my cpu HS but no longer works.

I might bring home the 8 channel Temperature logger from work and connect up to the CPU, Northbridge Ram module GPU etc just to get some real calibrated data.

The Rams didn't use to get very hot before I installed the fans - i have added them now as a precaution before performing the Vram mod - I ams still working on the ramsinks. Has anybody go an idea on the spacinf between the ram modules with the standard heat spreader removed.

i am thinking of making a heatsink with stepped fins ( L shaped longer above modules with them facing forward on one module and backwards on the other. i will then mount the fans directly to these.

Currently the CPU fan is drwaing air over the HS (sucking) and the ram fans blowing. I agree with the comment about this means that warmer air from the rimms is being sucked through the CPU HSF but I really dont expect it to make that much difference.

If both lots of fans were sucking I expect that the airflow over the rams would be greatly reduced - That Delta on the CPU move 68 CFM!!! The Papst 412H move 8CFM each - 32 CFM over the RAM.

We needed efficient cooling for a work project and those 412H's are about the best 40mm fans - We used to by them by the 1000 so the price was also very good :) - Just happened to have the odd dozen lying around...

I know the Papst fans are quiet, but that's a lot of fans. What's the noise like? By the way, you may want to throw another one on your Northbridge heatsink.

I work in an environment where there are lots of big fans running all day so I tend not to notice them to much but with a total of 12 fans running I would be lying if I said it was quiet:p

Hard to tell if it's just down to the fans but in combination with the 1.8V available in 40B I was able to run stable at 2.6G as opposed to 2.4G with 7D.

It's when I tried to get 2.7G that all the fun started...

But thats another story..

Currently back to 2.4G with 7D after re-formatting HD and performing a clean install.

Whats peoples experiences of Vmem mod - how much difference did it make.

As said earlier - extra cooling is in advance of Voltage mods..

Vmem mod doesnt help one bit in my experience, if anything the higher the voltage, the more unstable the ram gets.

There seem to be mixed results with the Vmem mod - I will keep an eye on the psts before deciding to take the plunge

Back