• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burn in memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oogro

I just wonder how you do that?
Just ordered 256mb Samsung DDR2700 , Asus P4S533, P4 1.6.

memory

Welcome to the forums!

I'd start playing games and raising the memory voltage by steps. Or maybe blast it for a few hours of looped Sandra memory tests at increasing voltage.

My Samsung comes on Thursday!

Thanks for the answer but and i dont understand what happens
with the memory when you "burn in it"?
Is it a temporarly thing?
I mean when you shut it down and cool it i have to do it again?

Another question:
If you overclock is it dangerous for the soundcard?
Heard some one not recomend to overclock beacause you
can fry your soundcard?
Going to buy an TerraTec PCI EWX 24/96 later
and use my sblive as doorstop!:mad:

Thanks

Oogro

I belive burn in is just to make the chip enjoy high voltages. I think it is something like this:

You run it on low voltage stock fsb for some hours, then raise the voltage still on stock speed and when you reaches the voltage you want, the run it there for some hours, then oc fsb.

I'm not 100% sure about this, just trying to give a hint... :)

And yes, you might destroy your sound card when oc'ing fsb. Most boards have a 1/4 divider when you reach 133mhz fsb. So when you raise the fsb 4mhz, then the pci bus is raised 1fsb. The sound card might not like this, and scream "STOP!". This is why people take out their pci cards when trying to reach the braggin oc. But if you oc on an AMD with miltiplier it's no problem.

elysium

I'm not sure exactly what happens during the "burn-in". I didn't believe it was real at first (1998). I bought a 300a and it went to 450 out of the box but wouldn't even post at 504. After about a day, it would post at 504 and boot into windows but would fail under load. By the end of the week it was stable at 504.

I found the same phenomenon to hold true with all the other processors I've overclocked - and it also seems to be the case with the memory!

This is a permanent thing - not temporary. However, if you don't clean the dust bunnies out of your heatsinks and case every few months, things will gradually heat up giving the impression that you are losing your top overclock:)

Thanks for your answers guys!
Great forum this!
Hope i get my new stuff tomorrow!
But my order for the Samsung DDR 2700 just was leaved
by the disk so i canceled it and searched like an idiot to
find some replacement to be delivered tomorrow and
find a Kingmax DDR 2700.
Seems to be 0.5 ns so i hope it work out pretty good
but i wanted the Samsung so a little angry i am :(

I knew to this overclocking stuf and dont know so much.
Maybe someone could give me some links to read?

Thanks anyway for a great forum!

Oogro

Read on the front page (especially the beginner guides), read the sticky's in the forum and read around in this forum. Then you will be covered. Also, if you want some specific info, use the search button at the top of this page. If you do so, you will learn A LOT. I came as a noob 2,5months ago, now I'm able to answer many of the questions asked... :D

Spread the word about the search button!!! :cool:

elysium

Back