• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best P4 mobo for under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sim

I know this questian gets asked alot, but I've never touched an Intel cpu in my life I'm only trying it now because AMD's heat problems ****ed me off'ed for the last time. I think I want a DDR or SDRAM board, RDRAM's pretty expensive. What sort of chipset and the like should I look for? I don't know how easy P4's are to oc, but I'll probably use the board to oc.

Thanks in Advance

SiM

Go w/ the SiS645 Chipset w/ DDR can the SDRAM Idea..

if you can go w/ out overclocking get the ECS P4S5A i found it on pricewatch.com as cheap as $58.00 its actully a really nice board..

now if u wanna overclock as u said you did, w/ the SiS645 Chipset
here are some good choices..

EPoX 4SDA ($77.00)
MSI 645 Ultra ($76.00) (what i'm using)
AOpen AX45V ($82.00)

if you can spare a few extra coins i'de say go with the SiS645DX Chipset... Asus makes the only one i know of so far, the P4S533 its $103.00

Other than that if you want an Intel Chipset look for the i845,
like these boards...

Gigabyte 8IDX ($91.00)
MSI 845Ultra-C ($96.00)
Shuttle AB40GT ($94.00)

theres alot more aswell but the prices rise, if your looking for a great combo on a budget my 1st choice would the Epox 4SDA w/ a P4 Northwood 1.6ghz ..and if i had a little more money wither the 1.6ghz or a 1.8ghz w/ the Asus P4S533... anyway you go have fun, and goodluck w/ your choice! :D

WOW! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I forgot to mention that I'd like onboard sound and lan, do any of those boards have that?

The lowest I found for the ECS was 68, 89 total on pricewatch and I noticed it also had the sound and lan=)

I say avoid onboard sound cause it uses cpu speed to run it. But that is just my opinion. I agree with the Epox boards, the Sis chip can be found for like 88 bucks last time I looked.

Back