• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel milking consumers with 845 chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbbnet

Registered
Now let me say first of all this is my personal opinion.
Intel has released it's 845E and 845G chipsets to the mobo manufacturers. They resulting boards are scheduled to hit the market soon. :) For those who don't know, the 845E supports the new 133FSB/533 CPUs as does the 845G which also incorporates built in graphics. But both chipsets downfall is that Intel has decided that these chipsets will NOT (officially) support DDR333. The way I see it is that DDR333 was available before the 533 CPUs, so why not allow the 845E/G chips to support it as well? Seems Intel has decided to wait until September before releasing revamped 845E/G chips that will "Officially" support DDR333. My thoughts being.....Intel is milking the consumers with their 845 chipset. Sure this is great business planning for them, however it kinda ****es me off. :mad: We all know that the 845D can handle DDR333 in most instances if the mobo's bios allows. It's all about the all mighty $$. Intel plans to gauge the consumer with each and every minor update they can, while at the same time call it a new product. When in all actuality, they're just reaming us for all they can get. The only hope we have is if the mobo manufacturers place bios options that support DDR333 "Unofficially!" RB

Only relevant if you plan on buying the Intel brand board. I'm sure ASUS, Abit, Epox, etc will have a way to run the boards at higher memory ratios. If not, look into the SiS 645 and vote with your $$ (by not giving it to Intel for the chipset at least.)

If you are going to gripe, why stop with Intel? Why is AMD releasing T-Bred then Barton then Hammer all before the end of the year? Why do you have to wait for Via to release XXX-A chipset to get a reliable working motherboard? BTW, isn't the KT-333 just a revamped KT-266 chipset? Why does Nvidia release a new GPU every six months? And list goes on and on, neverending. This seems to be an industry wide situation that will probably never change. As a matter of fact, this extends way beyond hardware into most industries. Just the way of the world today.

Back