• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ultimate RAM cooler: -28°C (Read this)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arman68

On my home PC when I setup an additional 92mm fan on a Zalman bracket I noticed a drop in temperature for my RDRAM of more than 20°C.

Recently I build a PC for a friend, based around a TH7-II RAID, P4 1.6a and 2x 256MB of RDRAM. With the 3rd temperature probe stuck between the 2x RDRAM sticks (furthest slots from the CPU), I was getting temperature readings of 62°C!!! A bit too high for my liking.

Having one spare 80mm fan I tried of fitting it above the RAM but it did not fit between the Heatsink and mobo power cables. As I had just replaced the Intel stock HSF with the Volcano 7+ I had it lying around. I took the fan out and tried it: perfect fit. Well snug and tight I secured it to the RIMMs with a few drops of superglue.

What a difference such a small silent fan can make: the RDRAM temperatures dropped by 28°C !!! From 62°C to 34°C. I confirmed that I had not disloged the temperature sensor by turning off the fan, and sure enough it went back to 62°C.

Incidentally the 'system' temperature as reported by the TH7-II dropped from 37°C to 33°C.

yea same here. good job, i would be scared about putting super
glue on my precious ram though.

why not shove one of those nice powerful 172 watt peltiers on a stick of ram? :) hrmm I wonder how many comp parts people have used peltiers on before? I could think of some really non usefull things(that would cause problems eventually) like say getting tiny pelitiers and somehow rigging them to your keyboard keys :)

I dont think anyone has used one on a hard drive before...

LOL The Punk Geek I thought he ran his memory @ - degrees as well.

RD Ram puts out mad heat, how much airflow do you have? I thought if you have good enough airflow you wouldn't need all that cooling above the ram.

Jared555 said:
why not shove one of those nice powerful 172 watt peltiers on a stick of ram? :) hrmm I wonder how many comp parts people have used peltiers on before? I could think of some really non usefull things(that would cause problems eventually) like say getting tiny pelitiers and somehow rigging them to your keyboard keys :)

I dont think anyone has used one on a hard drive before...

actually, Dissolved was talkin about doing that. i think it would do more harm than good, and be totally pointless.

but with pelt cooling on the RAM u could puch 4 volts through and get 200fsb on a stick of crucial:D

-Malakai

Malakai said:

actually, Dissolved was talkin about doing that. i think it would do more harm than good, and be totally pointless.

but with pelt cooling on the RAM u could puch 4 volts through and get 200fsb on a stick of crucial:D

-Malakai

Hmmm design a water block so you take those clippy things off the things that hold the ram then you would have to find mad peltiers to fill one piece of ram. You'd just be better of watercooling it I guess.

There has been quite a lot of discussion, at least in the Abit Intel forums, about how cooling the RDRAM helped the OC.

On the Abit TH7-II boards the DCRGs are right between the CPU and the RAM which is a pretty hot spot. Cooling the ram with airflow covers those chips as well. That probably accounts for a much better RAM OC as well (ie: the RDRAM can be run at 4xFSB instead of 3xFSB).

My first case with the Zalman bracket has a very decent airflow. The RAM fan is a 92mm ThermalTake which outputs 43CFM but is not straight on the RAM. Also, I do not run at full speed but in silent mode, which probably outputs ~20CFM. I have the temperature probe stuck on the RAM and if needed the fan speed increases automatically (up to the max).

The second case has fairly poor airflow but I am working on it. The fan is the 70mm one that came with the Intel stock HSF. Don't know about CFM. Same here, I run it in silent mode and I would say it outputs ~15CFM.

You actually need very little airflow. I think the beauty of it is being able to direct *some* of the case airflow between the RAM sticks...

Back