• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4B266 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I/O Error

Registered
Hiya,

I can't seem to get this mobo to do anything above 118 FSB stable. I have the memory at 1:1 so that's ruled out and it did 150 2-2-2 on my other mobo. I'm using an P4 1.6A(package date 04/04/02) with retail HSF. If i go to 133FSB 1:1 i get screencorruption in the post screen and it hangs there, i've tried every vcore and memvoltage but it seems unaffected it will only go this high. Is it possible that my mobo is defective or do you think it's my cpu which seems unlikely. Also i've used the turbo 1 fix to fix my pci and agp but it doesn't matter. I've tried a different PSU, vidcard, ram etc. I have not yet tried another cpu coz that's a bit hard to do for me atm. Could it be that intel has crippled it's 845D chipsets to make sure the 845E and G will sell?? Any advice is welcome, i'm lost here :(

Thx in advance :)

I don't think Intel has crippled the chipset. I'm using the P4B266-C with a 1.6A Northy at 150Mhz and 1.7V and no glitches. I don't know when the Mobo was built but I have had it a month. The CPU has a pack date of 3-26 (Costa Rica).

The first thing that comes to mind is HEAT! You are using the retail heatsink, did you replace the heatpad with Artic Silver or something comparable? I have not used the retail heatsink but according to the heatsink database on the main page, it is not very good and I would not consider overclocking with it, even with highend thermal paste. Personally, I have one machine watercooled and the other has an Alpha because the wattage increases dramatically with speed and voltage. How is the airflow in your case? Also, look at using Normal setting instead of Turbo 1 which caused me a few problems. Even though this chipset does not officially support 133Mhz, it does have the proper dividers in place at 133 to keep everything in spec.

Hope this helps give you a starting point to overcome your problems. Good luck.

Well, i'm using AS2 and it gets screen corruption in the postscreen when it's on for 30secs and my case is open so i don't think it's a heatproblem. I've played with all the bios settings and this is getting really frustrating coz i've been ocing since the p75 and i've done everything i can think of. I've bought the mobo in Holland and we usually get asus mobo's sooner then the us so maybe it is something with chipset but this is just speculation atm. Thx for the help sofar :)

It's not the chip set as you can see in my signature, it's possible you got a defective mother board or a P4 that just isn't a good overclocker. Know anyone that will let you try your proc on their motherboard to rule it out?

I seriously doubt anything is defective... Overclocking is partially a game of chance... If every single P4 1.6A would run stably at 2.0GHZ, then Intel would sell them as 2 Ghz processors. Take out all your pci cards to rule that out, and try improving your cooling...

Back