• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Temperature Verification...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

we45el

Registered
OK just set up my new comp with a minimal install and power it up.

Here's my specs:

Abit Th7-II RAID mobo
P4 2.4 Ghz 512k cache woody
1024 MB Corsair RDRAM
Gainward Geforce4 Ti4600
Alpha cooler with 3200 RPM 80mm fan

And here's the temps im getting as shown in the BIOS:

Room: 22
System1: 28
CPU: 40

Does the CPU temp look good? I put some Arctic Silver 3 on there, I hope I didn't put too much on or screw it up (first time using that stuff). Will my CPU temp go down after the three day "burn in" period?

we45el said:

Room: 22
System1: 28
CPU: 40

Does the CPU temp look good? I put some Arctic Silver 3 on there, I hope I didn't put too much on or screw it up (first time using that stuff). Will my CPU temp go down after the three day "burn in" period?

Looks fine. What's it at under load?

After the AS3 "burn-in" you might drop a degree or two. No more.

Did you do any lapping on the hsf? if your running at stock voltage and fsb, you should be able to get the cpu temp down a little. Somewhere around 36 to 38c. 40 is acceptable though, nothing will get hurt, as long as that's at full load.;)

i got a questoin for ya! what case are you using? oh and the temps look fine for the chip..... try and leave it on for two days non stop do not shut it down... and then check the temp.... even better load up an application that uses up the processor a lot... and have that run every time your not using the processor.. then check the temp after 2 days....

also keep in mind to regularly check the cpu temps because if the artic silver somehow melted *cough cough my first comp* the temps will sky rocket (luckilky i found it soon enough and nothing was damaged...) all in all remember your temps are fine.... but at 50degrees Celsuius + the motherboard becomes unstable.... and at 125 degrees celsius say goodbye to your chip...

I've been running it a few days. When my room gets up to 80F (27C), and I'm running UD Cancer, the peek temp is 50, but I can watch DVDs and burn CDs and everything is stable, so looking good.

I'll watch out for that "melting arctic silver", as this is my first time building a comp and I'm not sure I did it exactly right.

:beer:

Arctic silver will only melt if you put too much on, if you put a thin coating/layer on the CPU then your fine. The Artic Silver 3 should just tint the heatsink and make it look cloudy while the AS3 on the CPU should just be a thin coat.

Back