• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rdram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

Does one have to use two sticks of this stuff for it to work? I have one, and don't want to buy another, so I hope not.

Yep, you have to use a pair like ihrjin said but I have a question also, can use two modules that are different sizes??

Yep, you have to use a pair like ihrjin said but I have a question also, can use two modules that are different sizes??
That should be a matched pair. But since i850 has two banks (each bank has two slots), two banks can have dissimilar sizes.

Can you not just use one stick and get a 'dummy' stick for the empty slot?

you could just have 1 stick and 1 continuity stick (dumby stick) if it was a single channel board

I have worked on some SONY P4 Systems that this was done.

Some very early board designs were single channel.

Anyways, if you wait a little, there are some RDRAM sticks coming out that are designed to work in singles

How does RDRAM banking work

How does Banking work for RDRAM. Like With SDRAM is easy I stick is a full bank. But when it come to RDRAM i am lost so can someone explaing it to me pleas thank you .

Re: How does RDRAM banking work

Darkpie said:
How does Banking work for RDRAM. Like With SDRAM is easy I stick is a full bank. But when it come to RDRAM i am lost so can someone explaing it to me pleas thank you .

I'm not sure if RDRAM works like SIMMs or not:

SIMMs had a memory bus of 64bits, but each stick made up 32bits, so two sticks were needed.

I think RDRAM may be the same but 2*64 to give 128.

Re: Re: How does RDRAM banking work

David said:

I'm not sure if RDRAM works like SIMMs or not:

SIMMs had a memory bus of 64bits, but each stick made up 32bits, so two sticks were needed.

I think RDRAM may be the same but 2*64 to give 128.
RDRAM is 16 bit
Does one have to use two sticks of this stuff for it to work? I have one, and don't want to buy another, so I hope not.
Yeah, the i850 chipset uses DUAL channel RDRAM, so far there is no way around it.

The sticks should be of the same size and quality.

EDIT: Sorry, I replied to the wrong person...

I have seen pics of it - and it was in the first of each bank...

I.E

bank1 bank2 bank3 bank4

RAM CRIMM RAM CRIMM

if you get what my shady diagram is about... it looked like you couldnt have the first two slots full and have crimm in the other two....

or was this just a dodgy pic, or doesnt it matter where you put them?

yeah you need 2 sticks for the i850 chipset because, as will said, it is dual channel but I think the older RDRAM chipset only needed one stick (i think it was the i840 chipset). RDRAM's latency is higher then ddr sdram and the idea of using dual channel RDRAM was to lower the latency and make rdram more competetive with ddr sdram. so even if you could use only one stick I think you would see a large performance drop.

on a side note my dell came with 2 continuity modules for the 2 RDRAM slots that aren't being used...why, i dont know.

DaddyB said:
yeah you need 2 sticks for the i850 chipset because, as will said, it is dual channel but I think the older RDRAM chipset only needed one stick (i think it was the i840 chipset). RDRAM's latency is higher then ddr sdram and the idea of using dual channel RDRAM was to lower the latency and make rdram more competetive with ddr sdram. so even if you could use only one stick I think you would see a large performance drop.

on a side note my dell came with 2 continuity modules for the 2 RDRAM slots that aren't being used...why, i dont know.
Yes The i850 chipset also requires two CRIMMs if the slots are not being used. As far as I know, you need One pair of sticks per channel and a maximum of two channels are available. If the second channel is not used CRIMMs are totally nesscessary.

yeah i just spent some time at the intel site checking the specs on that chipset and he is right, you can use one stick of ram but you need a continuity module (crimm)

Back