• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up, remarked OEM memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I got an E-mail yesterday from our head office about some DDR 256Meg/8chip PC2100 OEM memory that is out on the market. The memory is remarked Micron chips. Now the chips themselves are actual Micron memory chips, but not intended for use as PC2100. I keep forgetting to bring home the e-mail, with the part numbers and what to look for in identifying them, but I will post from work tomorrow, or when I get home. Basically if you see an awesome deal on DDR memory meeting the specs given above, be very careful. Post what to look for tomorrow.

Here's the E-mail I recieved...

"Subject: Update Alert, Issue 2, May 3, 2002 - Fraud, Counterfeit/Re-mark of

Computer Memory Products
Thanks to all who support this and with information provided!!!
It is also found that a lot of COUNTERFEIT Micron on third 256MB
PC-2100/266 (16MX8 BUILD) DDR Modules in our spot market now. Please review with following details:

*PCB used: HJ, KO-6393.
*Module labeling: Line 1 - 256M-266, Line 2 - bar code, Line 3 -*ACE002418*.
*Chip/TSOP marking: Line 1 - 0202 2-2, Line 2 - MT 46V16M8, Line 3 - TG -75
A, Line 4 - 16MX8T6 TL 0208.
*It is suspected that these off-spec. chips were supplied by Micron to a particular OEM and then re-mark to look like regular Micron chips.

To all who are concerned about the computer and computer memory industry: (Please forward this letter)

Dear all: For some time now counterfeit (remarked) products have been troubling our industry, this includes CPUs and most major brands of memory products. Fortunately, in the past this sort of illegal activity and their culprits were all brought to justice by the law. Recently there has been a new surge in counterfeit DRAM major brands flowing in the DRAM spot market, mainly modules made to look like major branded parts. Due to the economic upturn and recent price increases in the semiconductor market some people have decided to try this counterfeit manufacturing again. We strongly urge all people to look very carefully before purchasing and selling items that are "too good to be true". Everyone who participates in this market has and will be held accountable for these crimes. It has been found so far that the counterfeit parts are coming from the Far East. However, even resellers will be held liable if they are or were found selling known counterfeit parts. All counterfeit parts are identifiable. As in U.S. currency, semiconductor chips have written marks on each die that are different from maker to maker and impossible to be precisely duplicated and altered and can be traced back to the original maker. The marks on top of the chip are programmed using highly precise equipment and are traceable like DNA or fingerprints, always different from the counterfeit. Worst of the all, the quality of these parts are the equivalent of downgrade parts and RMAs are becoming a nightmare for a lot of people, and it is badly damaging the reputation of those of the major brands. There is currently an ongoing investigation by the law enforcement and rest assured the people responsible will be caught along with all that have helped promote their counterfeit items. Please do your part in helping the industry, market and all legitimate manufacturers and distributors. We urge you to consult the people that you trust in the industry in conducting this business. Identify the counterfeits as best you can. Report to law enforcement when you find any of them. STOP them as soon as possible.

Back