• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok, i'm willing to admit i THOUGHT i knew the difference between ECC and non ECC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

himura-dono

Xtreme refugee
ok, so which is better to overclock? in my sig i have 512 ecc reg. did i make about a $20 lapse in judgement?

I'd say you did

Non-ECC is better for OCing. I'm sure somebody here could explain exactly why, but I can't. I just know that Non-ECC is better.

Well, I don't know the specific details as to why it is not as easy to overclock, but I know that it is a little bit slower than non-ecc ram because of the extra steps involved with the error code correction. I think that is one of the reasons why a lot of OC'ers stay away from it because they want to get the absolute fastest rig they can get... :D

ECC contains alot more circuitry than does unbuffered making it automatically a worse overclocking option...more circuitry=more opportunity to failure at high bus speeds.

Generally speaking, 150MHz out of ECC is very good and not very common. Turning off the ECC function in the BIOS will not help either. Disabling the extra correction abilities does not remove the presence of the additional registers that are on the chip.

If you're going for an overclock, never go with ECC, registered or registered ECC.

crap....maybe i'll sell it to a friend in a computer build. crap....150 is good, but i want the abso-fricken fastest i can get from crucial...while keeping in mind my board supports up to 1600 and 2100...

well, what do you guys thin ki should do with it? sell it, or deal with it?

Does anybody know what the advantage of ECC memory is in situations where you have a choice? On my rig I would trade overclockablilty for stability, if the stability appears under load situations, not just long term memory leaks. I've heard that ECC is mostly for servers and I use my PC primarily as a 3D graphics workstation.

If you mostly play games, the consensus here is that non ECC is better as well as cheaper.

ECC is better if you want complete data reliability, although it works slightly slower than non-ECC. I think ECC is better unless you're going to be overclocking.

Back