• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raising the voltage of the RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

Is this recommended? My FSB is running at 155, is it time to raise the voltage of my RAM? I really don't want to fry it, but the RAM does need to get the necessary voltage. What do you think? How much do I raise it? 0.10V?

What kind of ram do you have? How are you determining it needs more voltage? What's your voltage now? Anything to 2.65v is safe, 2.75v+ IMHO needs good airflow or any kind of air over the RAM.

Necessary voltage would be what it runs stable at. If it's perfectly stable how it is now, I see no reason why you would want to raise it.

vdimm

Unless raising the voltage helps you get higher FSB stable that is... Should be pretty safe to 2.8 with good airflow.

Well, I'm not having unstability with my RAM. If I remember correctly, I think my RAM is at 2.2V. I'm not sure, but that sounds right. So, I shouldn't raise it then, due to my stability?

Crucial 256M DDR

Default is 2.5V and if it's stable, leave it alone. Only reason there is to raise is if instability occurrs and you know it's memory related or, as Yodums and Arkaine said, you want to go for higher bus speeds...in that case, more voltage is commonly needed but shouldn't be applied unless you're unable to continue going up in frequency.

Right now the bus of the RAM (which is 2 x FSB, right) would be...

2 x 155 = 310MHz

Is this correct?

I have mines @ 167 crucial ram with heat sinks with a sunon fann horisontally blowing air into it and its at 3.0 volts max timings and settings.....

Garfield said:
Why/how would you put heatsinks on your RAM!?

Don't bother they don't do anything, you should worry about air over them.

Like a CPU, the purpose of putting on ramsinks is to cool it.

Yodums

Would little heatsinks on each chip or a heat spreader be better?

Yodums said:

Don't bother they don't do anything, you should worry about air over them.

Like a CPU, the purpose of putting on ramsinks is to cool it.

Yodums

if u really think u need cooling on your ram open your case and feel it i have my fsb at 172 CL 2T on the memory and 2.7 volts my memory never gets hot
in my opinion ram sinks are for looks
cause ram simply put does not get that hot
unless x treme voltage and overclocking

hardlined said:
Would little heatsinks on each chip or a heat spreader be better?

Useless. From what I've read they do nothing, and only gives you 3-4 more mhz? The important thing you should be worried is the airflow in your case, and if it's effective.

Yodums

Well I am gonna stick them on my video card cause sometimes those get very hot.

Yodums said:

Useless. From what I've read they do nothing, and only gives you 3-4 more mhz? The important thing you should be worried is the airflow in your case, and if it's effective.

Yodums

hardlined said:
Well I am gonna stick them on my video card cause sometimes those get very hot.

If it was on your video card, then it's a very good reason. You have to use Arctic Alumina Adhensive though because it isn't conductive or capcitive.

Back