• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

128mbs on vid cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
About the first part of your question, right now 128mb cards may seem like overkill but soon some of the newer games will utilize that extra memory. Also if your considering buying a GF3, GF4 ti4200 or a radeon 8500 that has 64mb ddr when your spending all that money wouldn't you want something that will last awhile?? I wouldn't want to buy a $200 video card and then a few months down the road realize that I need a 128 mb card to play some of the new games and have to spend another $200 or $250. Just my opinion.

Yeah,I agree with what you have all said.And this could have been in the video section.I was just wondering about the fill rate and the sequence,thats why I posted here.

Is it better to have 128mb on your card and less L2,or more L2 and say only 64mb on a card?Your card is using your AGP pipe and your L2 is used next.Guess I'll have to read up on this stuff more.Seems ddr on your card would be faster if its all being used.

the L2 cache is on the cpu, and really has nothing to do with the vid card.
More L2 will give you a better boost overall and in games and this is being used constantly while gaming.

128mb is not used now,and wont be until the next generation of graphics cards.
game makers dont make you need the latest and greatest pc parts to play their games, otherwise only a few could afford to play them.
no point designing your games with a p4 2.4ghz and a gf4ti4600 when most users are on 1ghz pc's with gf2 mx's

Just now I think 128MB is a waste. However, if you are buying a card to last, get a GeForce 4 Ti with 128MB RAM. However, I am still surviving well with a GeForce 2 MX 32MB and I can play most games OK.

If you have the dosh, go ahead and get 128MB but I doubt that you will need it in the next few years.

Back