• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info about RDRAM & Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TASOS

I have a Northwood 1.8A and plan to overclock.

So..if i go for an RDRAM mobo,are there any issues about RDRAM and overclocking?

Any details,hints ...ech.

Also propose an RDRAM mobo (Not Abit...not available here)

Thanks

If go with a P4, go for RDRAM. It offers more bandwidth over DDR and SDR, and lack of mem bandwidth can cripple a system.

my P4 is a dell (can't overclock a dell, maybe with soft fsb or something but i dont trust software fsb progs). so that being said all i can offer is heresay... but I've heard that RDRAM is finiky about being overclocked, that is you wont be able to overclock it as high as ddr sdram. perhaps an intel overclocker can tell you more about that.

that being said intel just released the new i850e chipset which will support the pc 1066 RDRAM, so you might want to pick up some of that pc1066 as it should be able to overclock a lot better (i would think it would overclock above 133 fsb) but it might be a bit more expensive.

If your cpu is capable of running 136mhz or more with rdram you might have problems getting the memory or motherboard to run stable at the x4 rdram setting 136x4 x2 or 1088.

If you use a I850e motherboard then only the memory should be a potential problem.
1066rdram will not be available for another 5-6 weeks.

If you need to use rdram at the x3 setting instead of x4 then you will be running the memory at 136x3 x2 or 816.

If you run into that situation then ddr will be faster on a board that allows the memory to run at 200mhz at a 133fsb or 204mhz at 136fsb.

From what I have seen rdram running a 1.8a at 133fsb and x4 will give a sandra memory score of 3100-3300 while ddr at 200 will give a score of 2800-3000 depending on the board used.

Thanks for the info Placid.

Also...does the RDRAM need voltage increase...like the DDR does for more stable and better performance?

and...are the current PC 800 sticks,able to do 133x4x2 ?

TASOS said:
Thanks for the info Placid.

Also...does the RDRAM need voltage increase...like the DDR does for more stable and better performance?

and...are the current PC 800 sticks,able to do 133x4x2 ?

I can run my RDRAM at 133 4X, it is Samsung. Samsung is the brand that has the most success at higher speeds. I can also run at 150FSB with the RDRAM at 3X which is equivelant to PC900 and the mem scores are in the 3200 range in scisoft.

Back