• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rd VS dr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newhouse_00

Registered
what difference would i notice if i changed 256mb dr to 256 mb rd ram

i have a 1.7 p 4 running win 98 se

not much ddr is awesome . when the kt 400 comes out (in a month or two) that will match the bus speed of the current rambus.

newhouse_00 said:
what difference would i notice if i changed 256mb dr to 256 mb rd ram

i have a 1.7 p 4 running win 98 se

In theory, quite a bit.
You would need an RDRAM board as well though.

Pentium 4s currently operate on a 400MHz Front Side Bus. RDRAM also runs on 400MHz, so there is a theorectical 400MHz worth of bandwidth between them.

Running DDR you have at most 266MHz to 333MHz bandwidth from CPU to RAM. And as the CPU and RAM run asynchronously (ie at different speeds) this can cause latency problems.

RDRAM is the best option for Pentium 4s, but needs a suitable RDRAM board with the Intel i850 and i850E chipsets like the Abit TH7-II (I think).

Make shure you

Dude Make shoure you Motherboard can use RDRAM Form my knowledge ther is no Motherboard that can use both RDRAM and DDR RAM So you will have to buy a nother Motherboard.

This hole memory thing is Tricky i know :burn:

Intel Chipsets: i845 is SDRAM, i845D is DDR RAM, i850 is RDRAM and i850E is 533Mhz RDRAM.

Back