• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

40ns 800MHz RDRAM for i850e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

di98elpe

According to this:http://www.samsungelectronics.com/semiconductors/dram/rambus_dram/rambus_big_sale.htm
Samsung is now producing 40ns 800MHz RDRAM en masse for the i850E chipset @ 533FSB.

Does this mean that this RAM is supposed to run at 3x133?
Does this mean that 45ns 800MHz RDRAM won't run on i850E boards?
Does this mean that true 35ns 1066 MHz RDRAM is not in the immediate future?
Finally, doesn't it seem plausible that most Samsung 40ns RAM will overclock to PC1066, given that much Samsung 45ns do?

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed some light / give some advice on this, as I'm considering the GA-8IHXP teamed up with a 1,6 or 1,8 Woody.

Been following this RDRAM thing pretty closely myself, as my upgrade from an ancient P3 coppertop is depending on it.

1. PC-1066 RDRAM is supposed to be out within the next 3 to 4 weeks. Who knows though? Kinda wierd that everyone was saying that its been ready and waiting and now it's no where to be seen.

2. A few people on [H]ardforum have received the 40ns 8 device Samsung memory and it OC's badly. They had much better results with the 256 double sided 45ns 16 device sticks. Doesn't make a lot of sense and teh sampling isn't large (all of 2 people) but still.
Here's some excerpts of the thread:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Well this just sucks. This 40ns ****? It's 256MB 8-device.
It won't even do 133/PC1066. Welp, time to truly find out what kinda company memplus is, cuz this crap is going back.

So I guess the only real option (still) is getting that high-density stuff. What a ****er...

tedinde, let me know if you find the same thing on yours...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

and

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I just tried my 40ns "supposedly high speed" I didnt try it out yesterday when i got it. Well my report.

I cant get the stuff over 129fsb??? My pc800 45ns will make it to 146fsb. But they are 128mb sticks and I wanted a pair of 256's.
----------------------------------------------------------------

You can check out the thread at:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=404244&pagenumber=2

Peace

As far as I know official pc1066 RDRAM is either 35ns or 32ns. Either can be qualified to run at pc1066 speeds officially. So until we see 35 or 32ns RDRAM available, I don't think its official pc1066 no matter what.

Hmm...the plot thickens...if pc1066 was in the wings, and at a reasonable price, who would want 40ns pc800 RAM at 3x133 for their spanking new i850E boards. Seems like it's back to the waiting-game...or perhaps reconsider DDR... or yet again dare to venture from the trusty shoulder known as Intel...
Ahhhh, VIA begone thy wretched foe!

email_atif welcome to the forums. We have rules here so please do not post for sale adds in the open forums. Only people with 100 posts or more who qualify can post adds in the classified section. Edit your post or it will be edited for you.

Woah, you read that link WideMouth? This doesn't look good for us. Looks like we are wasting our time waiting for pc1066.

Man, now I am so confused as to what I should get...

For the 3d games I am playing now it does sound like Rambus is still the right option tho. Maybe the 1.6a and ASUS P4T533 w/ pc800 rdram is the best option. It won't over clock well due to the 150fsb max, but still might be a faster pc at Morrowind/Quake3 in the long run than the P4S533 I was looking at earlier.

Stoutale said:
Woah, you read that link WideMouth? This doesn't look good for us. Looks like we are wasting our time waiting for pc1066.

Man, now I am so confused as to what I should get...

Yeah, just read it, all I can say is OUUUCH! Who knows, maybe VIA will et my money after all....

Peace

Could Placids link hold the explanation to the mysteriously low overclock potential of 40ns RAM? Maybe it's a compatibility issue with 850 boards? Perhaps it's a different story with the 850E boards, as there is apparently more to this than plain "memory speed".

Any thoughts? Or better yet; facts!

i have found compaq 40ns 128MB memory sticks for a decent price should i buy them? do they overclock really well?

Back