• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to get some things set straight...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpckvv

anyway, i've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have a few questions (or maybe just one) regarding memory...

here goes:

why would you want to get something like corsair pc3200 ram when in reality it is just pc2700 specced to do 3200? doesnt this just mean that you could get corsair pc2700 and do at least somewhat near to pc3200 with it?

right now, i am considering getting one 512mb chip of corsair pc3200, just cuz it's "the best", but if i can get 512mb true pc2700 samsung or corsair or whatever (for less), and the "new" pc3000 and pc3200 chips are, in reality pc2700, why should i go for the pc3200??

i mean, am i missing something here?

if i were to get the pc3200, would i get better performance from it, or should i just go w/ the pc2700??

i dont know if i really asked the question i wanted to (in few words), but i am guessing y'all know in what direction i am heading...

anyway, advice/info/whatever would be appreciated!

-peter

Corsair puts PC3200 on it because it has been tested to run at those speeds. Unlike PC2700 which hasnt been tested to go higher than 166Mhz. Corsair tests all those modules to make sure they can go as high as they say. Thats basically the difference between them. You may get lucky and get a very good module that will do way more than its rated at. Its luck i guess. Corsair modules are one, if not the best out there :)

Welllll, the PC2700 stock you are buying from in that situation, has been picked through most likely, so you're almost guaranteed not to have stable modules at PC3200. So, either you say okay, rip me, I'll buy the ones you tested, or you choose another brand.

Road Warrior

Back