• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which ram will give highest FSB??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpckvv

i got another question:

i am gonna get either pc3200 or pc3000 ram, but i'm not sure if the dimm size really affects the FSB...i've heard that it does, but i just want to be really sure...

if i were to get one 512mb deal of corsair ram, would it perform better than 2 256mb ones?

-peter

Since both the corsiar 256 and 512 use the same 32x8 chips the 512 would be better.

Of course there is the luck factor, if you tested 10-512mb sticks in the same board you would probably find about a 10mhz oc difference in the best to worst stick.
Then do the same with 10-256mb sticks.
Now if you get lucky and got the 2 best 256mb sticks then it would probably depending on the board used be better then if you got the worst 512mb stick.
Using the same situation you would have more of a chance to get one of the poorer 256 sticks if you just selected two at random than one of the 512.

Last edited:
I thougt 512 should be worse for oc'ing, due to the higher density of ram banks on the sides. Cause 128mb is one sided, while 256mb and 512mb uses two sides. So the 128 and 256mb would create the same amount of heat at each side, and 512mb would create more heat, which could limit the oc. But at same fsb, the 512 would beat the 2*256, as Placid said.

elysium

Back