• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

instability after memory upgrade..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doer

I checked the VT6X4 FAQ, but it didn't have much info. Nor the oc-board search. I upgraded my memory to 512Mb.

My mobo ran completely stable when I had only 1 DIMM (256Mb Spectek PC-133, CL3) for weeks. Now I bought 2nd similar Spectec DIMM and I have ran into instability after days. When I leave my computer on for days, it stops at some point (black screen, needs reboot, keyboard doesn't react, monitor says "cable ok, no signal"). It used to be 100% stable w/ 1 DIMM. I have newest bios and put the memory settings to "normal" slow CL3

So any1 running VT6X4 completely stable w/ 2 or more DIMMs 24h/d?? Or any more suggestions? Could the new DIMM be broken? I could return the memory to retailer ang get money back if it looks like my mobo isn't stable with 2 DIMMS...

good_sense said:
So take the ram out.

Well it might help. But I think the retailer has 10 or 14 days return policy. I'll propably don't have enough time to test everything before time runs out...

doer said:

Well it might help. But I think the retailer has 10 or 14 days return policy. I'll propably don't have enough time to test everything before time runs out...

then try returning it without testing. even if there is no problem with the stick it happens both wont match. this should be enough for you to get another to try out.

Have you tried switching places or diferent slots? Try just the new one and see if it's stable. I'm not familiar with your board but if you have more than 2 slots try 1&3 or etc. If it won't run stable with just the new stick RMA ASAP!

Thanks for suggestions... I haven't yet switched DIMM positions, using slots 1 & 2 now. But I upgraded my software (if there would be 1 proggram uncompatible with much memory...) and drivers. I managed to find ICQ crashing Windows when I ran many proggrams. Now I upgraded it. I tested running Prime too to see stability and it didn't show errors.

If I get more crashes I RMA it or try the new DIMM alone.

Back