• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconcept

I was wondering since I hear alot of people say not to buy generic ram and to stick to good names like crucial. I had never really looked into this when I built my system, I just went to the local shop that had the cheapest prices (this was back in september) and bought my 512 ddr pc2100, it was under 150 canadian including tax. Now i have had no problems with it but I was wondering what the downsides of generic ram are as opposed to the well known names. I think the ram is Infineon, I dont know if they are a good make?

i have tried many generic rams yet, first of all Infineon is not generic nor poor quality ram. i think the downside of generic rams is you get something you can never be sure about. they will all run well at the default timings but since youre planning to overclock youre going to depend on luck a lot. generic can overclock as much as a top-branded but very rarely.

Now I am not a huge overclocker, I am using Dane-Elec DDR, and it is doing good. I haven't had any instability problems at all. Mind you, I am only overclocking 130 MHz more, but it is holding up so far.

Back