• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**what does thie error mean**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Well i have been having problems with my mem, so Mushkin overnighted me a new stick and i got an error that i have not seen before.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT HANDLED win2k.sys

what is that, i assume its the OS, and not having enough vcore while overclocked to keep it stable.

any clues

Its a registry fault which drives win2k.sys and tells it what to do. When the CPU or memory produces an error do to an excessive cycle (Unstable), the fault would useally occur in the software code used.
In Windows 95~XP, this would all be pointed to the registry.

Therefore, Win2k.sys became currupted (coding) due to the Registry string being false.

EDIT: May I also add that when people mess with the FSB and bump it up higher than what the Hard Drive can handle, sometimes a permanent curruption occurs and forces you to reformat the whole entire disk. Those little registry bits are scrambled by the CPU and written to the Hard Disk without notice.

Any of Highpoints RAID controllers top out around the 150MHz FSB Mark on a 4 / # divider.

AXIA

that makes sense but i have the SAME HD i did on my 8kha and now using the 1.5 divider it is even MORE IN SPEC at a higher FSB so i dont think being out of spec is 100% of the issue.

I get the same damn error with my 8K3A+, and I don't know what it is! I have a locked 1900 running at 12X148... any higher, and I get that message.

I have mushkin pc3000 as well! We have pretty much the same setup.

I found that increasing the voltages helped me get a little higher fsb.

It's a Windoze-exclusive problem, nothing like that will happen on a real operating system. I do not believe there is a cure exept trying to use a SCSI drive (since scsi has its own clock generator) and see what happens.

Have you tried running the system far above specs at any time without formatting the Hard Drive? Have you tried reformatting the Hard Drive and keep the specs your running now?

Maybe, at one time, you did use a higher FSB even for just one Boot, that could currupt files on the Hard Drive.

If its none of this, the only thing I can think of is that it must be a OS bug of some sort. Thats a very strange problem you got there, but I swear that sounds like a file/registry curruption.

AXIA

I am just out of optinons, yes it corrupted teh win2k.sys so badly i had to reformat. I did a clean for mat and reinstalled the 2k. I have not seen that error as of yet.

So far i can run at 10x166 al turbo settings, but that is 80 mhz less than my 8kha would do with the same components.

I really think there is a GF2 issue with this chipset board, cause i have tried all different configs and get a 2000 pt drop in 3dmark

i only get 56 fps or so at the beginning of the first test, when before i got 74.

i have tried tons of drivers, all the DX versions, updated to SE 3dmark, and am on my 3rd BIOS and 3rd set of VIA drivers and AGP driver.

I jsut dont get it

You droped from 74fps to 56fps? There must be something more serious here.

Are you sure the ram option isnt set to 4/3 instead of 1:1 or 4/5. That sounds like a memory bandwidth problem of some sort, but then again, DDR ram wouldnt make that much of a performance drop would it.

Then it must be the graphics card.

AXIA

i got it fixed, and now know th solituion tha was holding me back.

well it all started to get better when i went HERE and got the 2403 BIOS that was fixiing ALOT of people errors and performance drops that i too was seeing.

well i updated to 2403 BIOS, clocked the card down from 250 core to 230 and set to cas2 all turbo *which b4 was unuseable) and low and behold it FINISHED a 3dmark run with no problems.

And it was around 70 FPS again. This is what i found out. On my 8kha there is only a 1.4 divider so when FSb is over 166 it does NOT drop bakc in spec. Therefore the AGP/PCI is at like 82/42. But on they 8k3a it has the 1/5 divider once it gets teh same FSB of say 170, they 1/5 divider is automatically already kicked in, putting the AGP/PCI ALOT more IN spec then before, yes letting you caheive a higer FSB but still the AGP/PCI is not at82/42 but closer to 74/33. So in essence the information is moving ALOT slower than it was on the previous board. i would need a FSB or 205 to acheive the saem AGP/PCI bus speed that i had on my 8kha.

Reason was that the BIOS i was using just did not work for me so, even at the same FSB or 166 that i had on my 8kha it was setting the BUs speeds back to exact specs, so info was just not moving as fast, even with a faster chipset and more FSB and more overll MHZ.

I added some mem v and set vcore to 1.850 and it ran fine at 9.5x185 giving me a good run over my previous 8kha best score. Well then after i decided it was stable so i upped the video card back to 250/465 and it completed test fine, giving me a new score, and i STILL hold the 3dmakr onlien frecord for a GF2 Pro

Back