• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Identifying ECC SDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bergie007

I just recieved a new stick of SDRAM earlier today and as I dont have a spare machine to test it on till the weekend, I was wondering if there was any way to visually determine if it was an ECC modue or not. The packaging states it is but there is nothing written on the actual chips. I only know that it is a "Memory Card Technology" dimm. On the sides there is one half-circle indent with a longer half-square indent above it.

Anyone know how to check???

"If you already have a PC and are unsure which type you have, count the number of small, black, IC chips mounted on one of your existing DIMMs. If the number of chips is evenly divisible by three or five, then you have ECC. If the number of chips is NOT evenly divisible by three or five, you have non-parity memory."

crucial.com

I read that when I was researching the DIMM, but I shoved it into my KT133 system and it wouldn't boot. This DIMM is way bigger than the one I took out of the KT133 machine. Does the KT133 support ECC? If it didn't boot, that would mean no support and the DIMM is ECC not so??

it could mean you got a faulty ram. ive tried running ecc ram with mainboards that wouldnt support it and all i got was half the memory amount recognised. computer ran fine.

about the support all you have to do is to make another search in the crucial.com webstie for the model of your mainboard. youll get there the information you need about the support for the ecc.
btw what you mean about the dimm to be bigger than the other?

Back